Volume drop from FM9 when Focusrite 2i2 plugged in

LCW

I noticed that when using my MacBook for FM9-Edit, that the volume from the FM9 to my monitors is lower when I have my Focusrite 2i2 plugged in (also USB). If I unplug the 2i2 from USB, or even let the MacBook go to sleep (or close the lid), the FM9 volume gets louder.

Anyone know why this would happen? I played with changing input and outputs in the Sound Settings of macOS but that doesn't change anything in this circumstance.

I'm guessing somehow the Focusrite is attenuating the signal to my monitors when it's powered on.

FM9:
XLR Out 2 direct to my monitors
USB cable to my MacBook for FM9 Edit

Focusrite 2i2:
USB to my macbook
TRS to my monitors

This may sound a little obtuse, but why are your monitors connected via XLR if you've got the 2i2? You would think that the USB > 2i2 should connect to monitors from the USB, not direct from the FM9.

The FM9 manual speaks about how to set up a third-party interface, as well as use the FM9 direct to studio monitors. (Pg. 29 describes both scenarios)...

Reactions: LCW
This may sound a little obtuse, but why are your monitors connected via XLR if you've got the 2i2? You would think that the USB > 2i2 should connect to monitors from the USB, not direct from the FM9.

The FM9 manual speaks about how to set up a third-party interface, as well as use the FM9 direct to studio monitors. (Pg. 29 describes both scenarios)...
No fear of sounding obuse - I've never really played with this stuff much before. So learning as I'm going. :)

But after posting, I decided to do sort of what you're alluding to and connecting the Out 2 XLR from FM9 into the 2i2 (rather than direct to monitors). So now the FM9 audio goes through the 2i2 and only have the TRS from 2i2 to the monitors.

So now have an extra volume control on the 2i2 to adjust the FM9 output and it seems about equal level if play a track from Apple Music or Spotify to play along to. So no matter the source- FM9 or audio from the Mac, the levels are similar and can be adjusted by the 2i2 volume knob.

And in this scenario, I need the Mac/2i2 on to play through the FM9, but won't get startled by a massive volume jump now because it can't happen.

The monitors must not like having 2 inputs at same time. They must be self attenuating when there is two active sources into them.

EDIT - now setup like on bottom half of pg. 29... Before it was a bastardization between the setup of the upper half and the lower half of p. 29.

Last edited:
The monitors must not like having 2 inputs at same time. They must be self attenuating when there is two active sources into them.
Your monitors don’t have 2 inputs. There is only one input but (for your convenience) 2 different connectors to choose from. It’s like a Y cable with 2 different connectors.

It is actually the 2 OUTputs from interface and FM9 that do not like to be directly connected to each other. One output can usually be connected to multiple inputs without problems but outputs should never be directly connected to each other.

No fear of sounding obuse - I've never really played with this stuff much before. So learning as I'm going. :)

But after posting, I decided to do sort of what you're alluding to and connecting the Out 2 XLR from FM9 into the 2i2 (rather than direct to monitors). So now the FM9 audio goes through the 2i2 and only have the TRS from 2i2 to the monitors.

So now have an extra volume control on the 2i2 to adjust the FM9 output and it seems about equal level if play a track from Apple Music or Spotify to play along to. So no matter the source- FM9 or audio from the Mac, the levels are similar and can be adjusted by the 2i2 volume knob.

And in this scenario, I need the Mac/2i2 on to play through the FM9, but won't get startled by a massive volume jump now because it can't happen.

EDIT - now setup like on bottom half of pg. 29... Before it was a bastardization between the setup of the upper half and the lower half of p. 29.
If your monitors have 2 separate inputs, my personal feeling is to simply connect your 2i2 to your computer and monitors, and your FM9 to your computer via separate USB.

I've got something like that with my setup, except that I use dedicated FRFRs for my FM9, with the FM9's XLR Output 2's to my FRFR's, and my FM9's USB connected to a powered USB hub, which connects to my computer, for use with FM9-Edit. My Clarett USB connects to my vocal mic, my computer, and my JBL LSR 308s for Music library playback, as well as mic use with video conferencing.

Otherwise, you'd need to route your FM9's USB to your 2i2, and let the 2i2 serve as your volume control for your FM9. You could still tweak your FM9 and Music library volumes at each source. You'd need to connect both your FM9 and your computer via USB thru the 2i2.

What my 2nd paragraph will do is allow your computer to play your Music library through your monitors, but will route your FM9 thru FRFRs.

This is what my current rig looks like:

p6XK3ms.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that when using my MacBook for FM9-Edit, that the volume from the FM9 to my monitors is lower when I have my Focusrite 2i2 plugged in (also USB). If I unplug the 2i2 from USB, or even let the MacBook go to sleep (or close the lid), the FM9 volume gets louder.

Anyone know why this would happen? I played with changing input and outputs in the Sound Settings of macOS but that doesn't change anything in this circumstance.

You're trying to mix two audio sources, so you need a mixer. As Srooijens explained, connecting both of them to your speakers is effectively using a Y cable as a mixer. When you connect two voltages sources like that, you'll get a voltage drop.

A 2i2 can mix a pair of sources without a voltage drop, so it can serve as a mixer.

Ideally though, a proper mixer will work better than a 2i2. For example a Mackie Mix 5 is small, less expensive than a 2i2 and has more controls (2 faders are very handy when mixing 2 sources). A 2i2 is a bit redundant since your MB already has nice D/A converters.

You can find some more information in the recording guide:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Back
Top Bottom