Using IR to model other instruments than guitar

pdelanghe

Hi,
I've been following some of the threads about IRs, thinking of them as just way to model cabs responses, and then I found Javajunkie's acoustic model and 3 chords rock violin and both of them use IR to model the sound, Java's using the IR of an acoustic guitar. Then my question is : if you can have an IR of a loudspeaker, studio room, cathedral, acoustic guitar ... does this mean that it's possible to use IR to model ANY instrument ? Obviously not, because then you could use them to model an amp also, and Cliff's live would be easier :D then where's the limit ? I remember from studyng electronics in school a very long time ago that an FFT can describe any signal thru the harmonics repartition, I guess that IR does the same using the Dirac impulse ?. I suppose that the difficut thing with an amp is that the response depends on the frequency and the signal level and you need to combine everything in a single model. But to model strings, a piano, horns ... would the IR method work ?
I know some of you guys are very knowledgeable about all this stuff. I'm eager to learn (and then I dont need to buy a midi guitar if I want to play piano chords :D )
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom