Using Expression Pedal with All Access

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I want to use an expression pedal to control my AFX remotely via my All Access. I have not been able to figure out from the Rocktron manual how to do this. The All Access is phantom powered with a 7-pin MIDI cable and I have the pedal connect to the All Access Pedal 1 socket. How do I configure the pedal to engage?

Stringtheorist said:
I want to use an expression pedal to control my AFX remotely via my All Access. I have not been able to figure out from the Rocktron manual how to do this. The All Access is phantom powered with a 7-pin MIDI cable and I have the pedal connect to the All Access Pedal 1 socket. How do I configure the pedal to engage?

Okay we'll start with assuming that you have your All Access already "talking" to the Axe-Fx: MIDI Channel selected (usually Ch. 1) on both the All Access and the Axe-Fx. You can successfully change presets on the Axe-Fx by stepping on the Preset switches on the All Access? Good, then you're ready to proceed.

To get your expression pedal working, you'll first need to assign the PEDAL 1 jack (on the All Access unit) to a MIDI "Control Number". Here are the steps on the All Access.

1. Start by powering on the All Access unit.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  2. To access MIDI, press the "2ND" button to activate the secondary button functions.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  3. Press the "MIDI" button. The LED above the "MIDI" button will flash and the All Access will display the first page of the MIDI program. Pressing the "=>" button while in the 2ND mode accesses each successive page of the MIDI Edit program.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  4. With the 2ND LED still lit, press the "=>" switch to access the second page of the MIDI program (Control Number Assignment).[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  5. Use the "INC" and "DEC" switches on the far left (directly below the displayed IA or Pedal number) to select PEDAL 1.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  6. Use the "INC" and "DEC" switches in the middle (directly below the displayed MIDI channel) to select the MIDI channel to be assigned to the pedal. Be sure to use the same MIDI channel as your Axe-Fx (usually Ch. 1).[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  7. Use the "INC" and "DEC" switches on the right (directly below the currently displayed control number) to select the MIDI Continuous Controller ("CC") number to be assigned to PEDAL1. For example, you could assign PEDAL 1 on the All Access to CC12.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  8. Press the "2ND" button to save your changes and to exit the Edit mode.[/*:m:2twqz1om]

This completes the configuration of the All Access. Now, to set up the Axe-Fx to receive the new MIDI data.

First, you should do a backup of your preset (copy it to an unused location within the Axe-Fx, or save it to your computer).

Then you need to assign the MIDI CC number to an EXTERNAL controller.
  1. Hit the I/O button, page over to the CTRL tab[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  2. Scroll down to an unused EXTERNAL controller (for example, EXTERNAL1), and hit the "Enter" button to go into detect mode, then move your pedal... the Axe-Fx will "see" the MIDI data coming in, and will assign that to the selected EXTERNAL controller[/*:m:2twqz1om]

Next, you need to assign that external controller to the effect or function on the Axe-Fx that you want to control.
  1. Edit your preset, select the block to be controlled, and hit the Edit button.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  2. Move the cursor to the parameter you want to control with the pedal, and press the Enter button to enter modifier mode.[/*:m:2twqz1om]
  3. For SOURCE, select the external modifier you just assigned (for example, EXTERNAL1).[/*:m:2twqz1om]

The All Access manual has some pictures, and a lot more descriptive text that this.
http://www.rocktron.com/site/support/manuals/allaccess.pdf.zip

He's nailed it as far as how to.

I have been doing it with the two expression pedals I have and have FAR less knowledge than he does. I just plugged them in and it works. That simple.

Hey thanks, xrist04! That was very thorough -- I have it all working now. :)

Any tips as to how I can switch the pedal on without programming an All Access button to switch the block on/off?

I seem to have a pedal calibration problem. Viewing the rate graph for the chorus effect as I move the pedal, it seems to reach the bottom of the range about 1/3 away from heel-down. As I continue to push down with the heel the rate jumps up to about 1/3 above the lowest point. :?

I went through the routine again but it hasn't made any difference.

The pedal is a Boss FV-500H.

Ther is a way of calibrating the pedals. Im not sure how - my Rocktron Hex worked straight off the bat. Im sure someone will chime in though.

As for engaging the pedal - You can select to "auto engage" in the controler set up page. Ive done it for Wah (I only use my pedal for Wah) and set it to "medium" response. Works fine.

paulmapp8306 said:
As for engaging the pedal - You can select to "auto engage" in the controler set up page. Ive done it for Wah (I only use my pedal for Wah) and set it to "medium" response. Works fine.
Hey, that's great. I didn't think that would be so easy. :)

Got this useful reply from Jim Chowning at Rocktron:

Yes, [get] any pedal with just one pot. You can remove the pot on this pedal [Boss FV500H] and it will work. It's just the way they have it wired in that makes it not work with any of our midi controllers. The All Access puts out 5VDC on the tip with the sleeve connected to ground. These just connect to each side of the pot. Then the wiper that sweeps thru the range connects back to the ring sending back a voltage 0 thru 5V which gets chopped into 129 steps for the midi value. In this pedals case it never goes to 0V.

I think he's saying that I could open up my Boss pedal and disconnect the volume pot and it would then work; but the connections are all via circuit boards so unless I want to risk destroying my pedal I guess I need to get a different one. What else are folks here using?

Back
Top Bottom