Using Amp Block as Drive Block with real amp

calleballe11

Experienced
Hey all!

Anyone have some tips as to how to use the Amp Block as a Drive? Some work "out of box" but usually there's a bunch of hi-freq fizz and I'm unsure of the best way to dial it away. Tried a 6160 (?) into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and if I took out 8K in EQ completely it sounds pretty good but it's still there a little bit.

Anyone know the best way? Would be cool to not have to have a EQ block after it but maybe someone could also point me in the right direction where to aim EQ-wise. Love this unit!

If the AX8 is like AF2 it has an EQ page in the amp block, so you could do frequency mods there without burning an EQ block.

Turn SAG to 0. This disables the power amp modeling on the block. Most prefer not cascading power amp distortion into an amp's preamp.

There was a post by Yek a number of years ago about using the Bogner amp sims as drives. (will work with any amp sim) You should turn the sag control down to zero which turns off the power amp sim so you are just running the pre-amp part of the model. This info was for the Axe II but I assume the AX8 would have similar behavior.

The Amp Block contains a High Cut Frequency control in the Advanced tab which will cut out anything above the listed frequency. Lower that value until the fizz goes away.

Why would you not just use a drive block?

For drastic changes in tone, and making a physical amp sound like a totally different one, the drive block is insufficient. I feel like 80% of the Drive models are low to mid-gain, with the exception of tube driver, 808mod, BB pre, Shred dist, and Ruckus (which is unusable due to the ridiculous amount of noise)

There was a post by Yek a number of years ago about using the Bogner amp sims as drives. (will work with any amp sim) You should turn the sag control down to zero which turns off the power amp sim so you are just running the pre-amp part of the model. This info was for the Axe II but I assume the AX8 would have similar behavior.

Cool! Like I said, I'm running the AX8 into a REAL amp this time, but I've had mixed experiences with different models, so far the 6160 sounds really good, and I dialed a Streets have no name patch thats out of this world with the AC30!

Cool! Like I said, I'm running the AX8 into a REAL amp this time, but I've had mixed experiences with different models, so far the 6160 sounds really good, and I dialed a Streets have no name patch thats out of this world with the AC30!
I told you this first, but no love? :(

Back
Top Bottom