Using a mixer block for blending effects

eljodon

Experienced
I run all my time base effects like Reverbs, Delays and Pitch with a mixer block. After my amp I run a send and return in between stuff like Flanger, Rotary Block, etc so I can have more space and then split the signal usually with a Volume/ pan block or a shunt usually to a Reverb a Delay, Pitch and a shunt for the dry signal and them to the mixer. From there it goes to a feedback loop or the output . I run it this way because that's the way I used to run my old system.
I see that many people just run their time base Fx one after the other. What's the benefit of doing this besides saving system resources and space as opposed to the way I do it?

I run all my time base effects like Reverbs, Delays and Pitch with a mixer block. After my amp I run a send and return in between stuff like Flanger, Rotary Block, etc so I can have more space and then split the signal usually with a Volume/ pan block or a shunt usually to a Reverb a Delay, Pitch and a shunt for the dry signal and them to the mixer. From there it goes to a feedback loop or the output . I run it this way because that's the way I used to run my old system.
I see that many people just run their time base Fx one after the other. What's the benefit of doing this besides saving system resources and space as opposed to the way I do it?

No real benefit either way, just different approach. Do you want your Chorus sound for example to hit a Delay Block, or would you prefer the Delay be just a dry signal. I don't like running Delay into Reverb, I think the Delay stays cleaner if I run it parallel to the Reverb. I usually run Chorus, Rotary, Flanger or othe modulation effects in series, because I probably will only be using one at a time. I run Mix 100% wet on effects and I use mixers to blend both Amps and Effects, just the way I like to control it. In one preset, I split the Reverb and Delay to be parallel, but I run a Flanger in series before the Delay block. This allows me to get a heavily Flanged Delay, but leaves the dry signal uneffected.
Just depends on what your after.

Thanks for your reply, I also run the flanger, rotary speaker, tremolo, etc after the amp. I just run the verbs, delay an pitch using he mixer. I guess I'm just used it from my old system and also from mixing. The Fx's I use with the mixer are all 100% wet. I guess as long as it works is fine. I was just thinking if there's a benefit on running them with out a mixer.

I think in a traditional rig a mixer makes a lot of sense for maintaining that dry analog signal, but when you're 100% digital to begin with, the internal mixer of each block works just as well as a separate mixer block. Now, there are still plenty of other uses for a mixer block, but as a traditional "mixer", I think the mix param in each block is just as efficient. I tie my mix param to an exp block, mostly for delay so I can always mix in the amount of delay I want on the fly...

Back
Top Bottom