USB won't connect to windows 10 computer

jzucker

Experienced
Do I need to send it back? The same cable and port on my computer works fine for all my other devices...

all drivers are installed and updated. Redistributable DLLs are installed but the problem isn't at the redistributable DLL level. If you have that problem, it's on the software side between USB and the FM3-edit. The problem currently is the USB hardware side which has nothing to do with the microsoft redistributable...

I had usb connectivity issues last year and had to send it in. Does it run on a Mac?

Sean Meredith-Jones

y
Did you try de-installing/re-installing the drivers? That sometimes does the trick

yep, i finally got it working.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers worked for me. I also found that it doesn't work with longer cable runs. I have a 15' usb cable that works with pretty much everything of mine from printers to scanners to other musical devices.

Doesn't work with the FM3 at all on multiple computers. My 6' cable does. I ordered an active USB cable extender to see if that fares any better. I started out with a non-powered one and if that doesn't work, I'll probably buy a powered one because I'd like to not have to have it 6' from my computer...

y

yep, i finally got it working.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers worked for me. I also found that it doesn't work with longer cable runs. I have a 15' usb cable that works with pretty much everything of mine from printers to scanners to other musical devices.

Doesn't work with the FM3 at all on multiple computers. My 6' cable does. I ordered an active USB cable extender to see if that fares any better. I started out with a non-powered one and if that doesn't work, I'll probably buy a powered one because I'd like to not have to have it 6' from my computer...
15’ can be pushing it for some devices. I was just checking out powered USB hubs because of putting together a Laptop based DAW. Even though the Laptop seems to supply enough power for all my controllers and such when plugged in, I was wanting to have some extra ports and make sure the current handling capability is sufficient. I was looking at getting one with a 20 watt power rating which is good.

15’ can be pushing it for some devices. I was just checking out powered USB hubs because of putting together a Laptop based DAW. Even though the Laptop seems to supply enough power for all my controllers and such when plugged in, I was wanting to have some extra ports and make sure the current handling capability is sufficient. I was looking at getting one with a 20 watt power rating which is good.

20w isn't for cable extending. It's for providing charging capability to greedy devices like laptops. In theory, it may not help with length issues if it's not specifically designed for that.

20w isn't for cable extending. It's for providing charging capability to greedy devices like laptops. In theory, it may not help with length issues if it's not specifically designed for that.
Well it’s an 8 port powered data hub with 2 charging ports. I imagine that is peak overall amount. I wasn’t necessarily suggesting this would fix your long cable run necessity. Just passing some info that I coincidentally was just checking the other day. It was recommended by the manufacturer of one of my USB powered midi controllers. That’s all.
Edit:
2.5W correction “I guess it’s shared” on 6 and 2.5W on 2 (10) data ports & 7.5W for 2 charging. Still I think is above average overall. It’s a little dated USB rev. wise.
https://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub10c2/

Last edited:
Incidentally what powered extender were you looking at? A dedicated one of those could be useful to have for myself. I do have one device that I wouldn’t mind having a longer distance.

Back
Top Bottom