USB Output Mapping & AES

Hi!

I have Axe-Fx 3 connected to a Windows 10 computer with USB and the only output is AES to my active studio monitors. I'm about to add 2 FRFR cabs and would like to hook these up to output 1 L/R, so I don't need to change all my presets.

I thought it's just a matter of setting USB output mapping to 1/2 -> Out 2 and then setting the AES output source as Output 2. This would leave output 1 for guitar and output 2 would be used for computer playback.

It doesn't work this way? What are my options if I want to have one set of speakers for computer playback and other set for processed guitar output?

Attachments

• PXL_20240904_175245589~2.jpg
    PXL_20240904_175245589~2.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 14
Can someone explain though why setting the USB output mapping to output 2 and then changing AES source to output 2 doesn't work. What am I missing here? I've read the manual, but just don't get it. Changing the output mapping alone does nothing, audio goes to output 1 no matter what I select.

Changing the USB output mapping to out 2 adds the computer audio to out 2, but it's still there on out 1 too. Still, changing AES source to out 2 does nothing.

In the Mac audio section it says:
"If you want to separate system audio and guitar processing to two different pairs of outputs, you might think at first that you need to change every factory preset to use the Output 2 block. That would work, but there are two other options. The first option is to re-map USB Audio playback so computer outputs 1 and 2 to go to Out 2 L+R instead of Out 1L+R. To do this, change SETUP : I/O : Audio : USB OUTPUT MAPPING to 1/2 -> OUT2, 3/4 -> OUT1".

Last edited:
If I leave USB output mapping to Out 1 and leave AES source to Out 1, there's audio as you would expect.
If I leave USB output mapping to Out 1 and change AES source to Out 2, there's no audio as you would expect.
If I change USB output mapping to Out 2 and leave AES source to Out 1, there is audio, which makes no sense to me.
If I change USB output mapping to Out 2 and change AES source to Out 2, there's no audio, but is this as expected?

If USB output maps to analog only, why does it pick it up when AES source is set to output 1?

Back
Top Bottom