USB Connection Issues with the editor - HELP is here!

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
The frequency with which the topic of USB Connection Issues with the editor occurs is very high these days.

I decided to make a write-up that might help others and be something I can easily refer others to when needed.

When I say "device" below, insert Axe Fx III, FM9 or FM3 as appropriate for your use case.

When I say "editor" before, insert Axe-Edit III, FM9-Edit or FM3-Edit.

The most common solutions:
  • In the editor, go to preferences and verify the ports for your device are selected
  • Try another USB cable
  • Make sure your cable is not longer than 3m / 15ft - that's the USB2.0 max length per specification
  • Try a different USB port on your computer
  • Connect the USB directly to the computer - do not connect to a USB hub
  • If you are running Windows, make sure you've installed the USB drivers for your device
  • Make sure you're not running the standalone FractalBot while also running the editor

If those actions don't resolve the issue, you can try do some further steps:
  1. Close the editor
  2. Unplug the USB cable from your device
  3. Unplug the USB cable from your computer
  4. Turn off your device
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Connect the USB cable to your computer
  7. Connect the USB cable to your device
  8. Power on your device
  9. Start the editor
If it still isn't working, repeat steps 1-4 above, then you can try to remove the USB drivers and proceed from step 5 (note that this only applies for Windows).

If these steps still do not resolve the issue then:

I'm intentionally posting this in The Lounge as it's not device specific and I couldn't think of a better sub-forum.

Hopefully this helps some people.

Last edited:
The frequency with which the topic of USB Connection Issues with the editor occurs is very high these days.

I decided to make a write-up that might help others and be something I can easily refer others to when needed.

When I say "device" below, insert Axe Fx III, FM9 or FM3 as appropriate for your use case.

When I say "editor" before, insert Axe-Edit III, FM9-Edit or FM3-Edit.

The most common solutions:
  • Try another USB cable
  • Make sure your cable is not longer than 3m / 15ft - that's the USB2.0 max length per specification
  • Try a different USB port on your computer
  • Connect the USB directly to the computer - do not connect to a USB hub
  • If you are running Windows, make sure you've installed the USB drivers for your device
  • Make sure you're not running the standalone FractalBot
  • In the editor, go to preferences and verify the ports for your device are selected

If those actions don't resolve the issue, you can try do some further steps:
  1. Close the editor
  2. Unplug the USB cable from your device
  3. Unplug the USB cable from your computer
  4. Turn off your device
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Connect the USB cable to your computer
  7. Connect the USB cable to your device
  8. Power on your device
  9. Start the editor
If it still isn't working, repeat steps 1-4 above, then you can try to remove the USB drivers and proceed from step 5 (note that this only applies for Windows).

If these steps still do not resolve the issue then:

I'm intentionally posting this in The Lounge as it's not device specific and I couldn't think of a better sub-forum.

Hopefully this helps some people.
Windows-based desktop computers often have a small courtesy USB hub on the front of the chassis. It’s unpowered and can cause problems with connections if something that draws power is connected there and the modeler is also attached.

Always use a good quality powered USB hub if the modeler has to go through a hub but try rearranging your connections prioritizing the modeler directly to the computer first before using a hub connection.

I periodically abuse/test the USB drivers in the modeler by streaming audio to it while running backup and restore cycles and it doesn’t drop the audio, so they are pretty robust. I use good USB-C to USB-B cables from my iMac Pro directly to my Fractals and all my drives and chargers are on powered hubs. Doing that really stabilized the connections.

Thanks for the write up @unix-guy . I was having troubles getting Axe Edit to show my device, even though it was already working as a audio interface with my DAW. Switching USB ports seems to have solved the issue for me.

Additionally, it behooves one to go to Device Manager and disable power management for any and every device having anything to do with USB. In fact, just turn it off for every entry that has it. “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. NO.
Uncheck this BS!

IMG_1523.jpeg

This guy right here is the damn devil.

If all that fails do this:
ron swanson computer GIF

Break Stuff No GIF

And get a new computer

Additionally, it behooves one to go to Device Manager and disable power management for any and every device having anything to do with USB. In fact, just turn it off for every entry that has it. “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. NO.
Uncheck this BS!

View attachment 120575

This guy right here is the damn devil.
Good point! I have been doing exactly that for years on most machines, recommended such action to others, but I just built this one two months ago and I had not done that yet (life has been a true zoo). Appreciate the reminder ;~))

If all that fails do this:
ron swanson computer GIF

Break Stuff No GIF

And get a new computer
Ha, no need! Just built this box two months ago. Motherboard went bad on my May 2015 build, so this one is solid and up to date. User error is to blame here ;~)) I will keep that second video in mind though when this one goes true belly up (but will not be shooting a CRT monitor)!!

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses and the helpful information, turns out it was a loose usb cable. My brother-in-law passed away recently and we inherited his two cats. I'm guessing one of them is the culprit. I will be closing the door to my studio space from now on. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses and the helpful information, turns out it was a loose usb cable. My brother-in-law passed away recently and we inherited his two cats. I'm guessing one of them is the culprit. I will be closing the door to my studio space from now on. Thanks again.
I'm guessing you meant to post this in your thread? ;)

Glad it's resolved.

Thanks for the guide - my Axe has finally arrived! 🎇🎆 but not able to connect to my PC. I have a cable and I suspect that it is the culprit in this so just want to check before I go and buy one, is there anything specific I need to look/ask for? Or if I pick up any generic type-a-to-type-b, then that will suit (obviously with the length consideration)?

Last edited:
Small addition to the Point
  • Also make sure that the green confirmation is displayed on the left of the ports. If not, select the device again.

Thanks for the guide - my Axe has finally arrived! 🎇🎆 but not able to connect to my PC. I have a cable and I suspect that it is the culprit in this so just want to check before I go and buy one, is there anything specific I need to look/ask for? Or if I pick up any generic type-a-to-type-b, then that will suit (obviously with the length consideration)?
That should be fine... But first read this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-connection-issues-with-the-editor-help-is-here.194108/

So not the cable - I can see the device in Device Manager, but I'm getting:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect.

1700962323780.png
Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom