USB Audio drops in and out of static at random

Squeeble

Been having this issue with my Axe FX III that's been mildly annoying me since I got it. I've been using it as my main audio interface and every so often the USB audio just starts going static-y. It's totally fine usually, for days sometimes, but then the USB audio will go into static for about 30 seconds (it starts off mildly distorted, gets unlistenably crackly, then goes back to normal) and once it starts doing this it does it roughly every 10-15 minutes until the device is restarted. My computer also doesn't like reconnecting to it sometimes and needs to be restarted too (I think that's an idiosyncrasy of my computer when I hard disconnect/reconnect a device in general but I included it in case it's related. It shows up as a device but playing back any media will just refuse to play. Like it won't even scroll through it silently, it's bizarre.)

It doesn't affect the guitar tone or anything, it's ONLY the USB audio. I also don't think anything like heavy use triggers it specifically. It seems totally random but I'm not 100% sure on that. (It happens a lot when I play back audio on google drive, but heavy processes like games don't seem to set it off.)

So far I've tried using other USB ports and cables but I don't really know how else to troubleshoot. Also I'm slightly concerned it might be an overheating issue or something since I leave it running most of the time. Any insight would be helpful.

Is this something they specifically addressed in a recent patch? I usually keep up to date but last time I checked was a few months ago. I'll try and show back up if it doesn't fix.

I have had the same issue since I got mine a couple months ago. USB streaming a macbook pro with Monterrey 12.4 into my Axe-Fx 3 mkii turbo currently on 20.04 R with USB firmware 1.14. I downgraded to USB firmware 1.11 and seem to have much more stable streaming. It still cuts out, but now only every so often instead of during every song. Unfortunately, the only way to get the USB audio back is to reboot the Axe.

Is this something they specifically addressed in a recent patch? I usually keep up to date but last time I checked was a few months ago. I'll try and show back up if it doesn't fix.
It's not a "standard" firmware update. It's specifically a USB firmware update, as Chris mentioned already.

Yes, it is pretty new.
This should have been solved with the most recent drivers and specific USB firmware. Are you up to date?

Look for “USB firmware” here https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

Back
Top Bottom