USB 1.1 too slow?

ruud

Hi, is it possible that a usb 1.1 midi interface is too slow for the Axe-FX?

I have the "Phonic midi hub usb interface" 2 in - 2 out.
When transferring new firmware to 7.08 from 7.04 with midi-ox like it is explained in the firmware.txt , The Axe responds with "bad checksum".
The Axe-Fx seems to follow the progress (bar), the out-led on the usb interface is flashing but no good result.

This is on a pc with XP os, my other pc with vista will not install the interface at all.

Any idea please?

Thanks for any answer.

My (antique) PC also has only a USB1 interface, and I have no trouble at all installing the firmware on my Axe. However, I use SendSX (I was having problems with MidiOX).

So the short answer is: USB1 is ok to use with the Axe. Look instead at (a) using SendSX, or (b) slow down MidiOX some more perhaps?

Daniel

SendSX is a whole lot slower than midiox, that is for sure :)
I've set delay to 200 in midiox and still bad Checksum.

Now SendFX is transferring the 30.708 lines and after 10 minutes the couter says almost 6000. That will take an hour to uploud the new firmware. Oh well, let's have a cuppa coffee or two and hope it works.

Thanks Daniel,

Rudy

Didn't work either, guess I'll wait for the new editor and after that perhaps a new interface if it fails again.

R.

ruud said:
Didn't work either, guess I'll wait for the new editor and after that perhaps a new interface if it fails again.

R.

The way midi worked for me - even if everything is fine but one of the moon is not aligned right it might give me a bad checksum here and there ... Transfer it again and its fine. I found that a lot of time after I wiggle a midi cable a bit (tried different cables btw all of them do it) it will be better. It is all in your settings for the midi communication... Sometimes it helps not to just set the transfer speed slower but instead set a small delay between messages (or whatever that option is called). A lot of people said that having the right revision of usb drivers is critical and even removing the driver and installing it again helps.

Sometimes I have to re-initialize my audio interface (presonus firepod) and its all fine and dandy after that.

But 1hr for the transfer is definitely waay to much .. On my setup firmware usually takes 3-5 minutes if that.

Mik.

It seems I can get only one way, dump from Axe to pc into midi-ox with that Phonic interface. Even a simple preset upload to the axe gives bad checksum. Does it ring any bell to anyone?

Thx,
Rudy

ruud said:
SendSX is a whole lot slower than midiox, that is for sure :)
I've set delay to 200 in midiox and still bad Checksum.

Now SendFX is transferring the 30.708 lines and after 10 minutes the couter says almost 6000. That will take an hour to uploud the new firmware. Oh well, let's have a cuppa coffee or two and hope it works.

Thanks Daniel,

Rudy

Speed in configurable in SendSX. At least in the 1.3 beta that I have.

This is really getting me nervous.

I bought a new interface, M-audo midisport 2x2 anniversary edition, installed it to my vista pc without any problem.
After connecting the midi cables with the Axe..... nothing happened, not even bad checksum after uplaoding a preset.

Back to my XP pc and after installing the midisport everything went exactely like with the Phonic interface. Preset download to pc works fine with midiox but upload to Axe still bad checksum. Even a preset which I downloaded first from the Axe to pc gives a bad checksum when uploading.

Where do I look now for possible solutions? If I need to post any screenshots, I'd be glad to do so.

Thanks for any hints

Ruud, you may have already tried some or all of the suggestions below, but it's worth mentioning:

- Try to swap midi cables (connection from Axe to PC works fine, could be that you have a bad midi cable going the other way... assuming you have two midi cables connected, of course)
- Try to disconnect the other midi cable while doing the pc-to-axe transfer (I seem to recall an issue a long time ago with some interfaces that didn't like it when the two midi cables were plugged in)... in other words, make sure the is no midi cable between the Axe midi out and your midi interface's in.
- Try downloading and installing the most recent drivers for your midi interface (this is a known issue)
- And of course, try both MidiOx and SendSX. I would stay away from the old Editor, it had some known issues. WIth both MidiOx and SendSX, try tweaking the delay values etc.

... and let us know how all of that went.

Daniel

Hmmmm, I tried 3 different cables, checked the drivers, pulled out the second midicable as suggested and played with the delay in SendSX.
On my XP pc at delay of 300 millisecs I see the SendSX sending the preset file and the interface A-out led blinks altered as well as the midi in led of the Axe. Only the Axe led starts to blink after 20 seconds of sending with first a "bad checksum" previous to the blinking.
On my Vista pc SendSX does the same but the Axe shows no bad checksum and the midi in led only blinks once after 20 secs. The preset on the Axe however does not change

So there is definately connection with the Axe and both the pc's, one at the time obviously.

Could I have some bad items on my pc's that interfear with the transmission of the sysex files? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again for any help

Again, you probably already checked the items below, but just in case:
- You have the Axe-FX set to midi channel = OMNI and Sysex ID = 125?
- Your preset files are of filetype ".syx" and are of size = 2,060 bytes (4,096 bytes for "size on disk")?
- The preset files all start with the first byte = F0 and all end with the last byte = F7?
- (not sure if this matters, but I have the midi option "Split long sys ex messages" checked in SendSX on my PC)

I kinda lost track... but did you say you have been able to update your firmware using that PC and one of those midi interfaces? Is that correct? Or did I imagine that? I guess what I am trying to ask is: did your PC ever successfully communicate with your Axe-FX in the PC->Axe direction?

Daniel

Thanks Daniel for taking the time.

Midi channel was set at 1, all the other items are as you suggest. Same result with midi channel switched to omni though.
The loaded (into SendSX) file bigins with F0 and the last row looks like this:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 0A F7

I was never able to update the firmware (still 7.04 now) but at the very start of using the old editor i have being able to tweak settings in effect bloks. I saw the virtual knobs turning on the Axe display. Not sure if I could change presets, it is more than a month ago and something came in between and my time was rather scarse at that time.

I also see the tempo led from the current preset stop blinking during the preset transmission, then one midi-in led flash and the tempo led goes on as nothing ever happened. All of this now is done with my vista pc. I guess I will see the same result on my XP machine except for the "bad checksum" which appears during the preset upload to Axe.

I haven't done any reset of the system parameters, should I do that? I can save my few presets but if I cannot reload them, that would be a bummer.

Thanks again
I just hope I can be of some constructive help too in the future.

My XP machine and my portable computer, XP as well, as expected show both "bad checksum" when uploading a preset.

I start to think it's not the pc's but inside the Axe to be looked at. Three pc's and two interfaces can't be all bad, no?

Jochen at G66 advises me to wait for the new editor. Untill then any suggestions are still very welcome and appreciated.

Rudy.

And so we did. The Axe works fine and has 7.08 on board now.

At home I downloaded manually the latest driver for the midisport and that was key, as suggested earlier. I can now recieve sysex from pc into Axe.

Thanks to all helping hands and minds,

Rudy

Back
Top Bottom