Updating Firmware

jvilla

Hello, question for the group. I was finally able to upgrade to a new MacBook after many years. I have the axe effect iii but have never updated it. How important is backing it up before updating and is the process fairly painlesss? Thanks!

Backups: very important.

I use a 4 step process to regularly backup all presets.
1. Backup using fractal bot. This gives you bank, ir and global files. The bank files are bulk dumps of the banks.
2. Preset exports. In Manage Presets right click, highlight all and export all presets to a dedicated folder. This gives you the granularity of having all separate presets ready at any time.
3. Export cabs. Similarly, in Manage cabs, I right click and export all cabs to a folder. This gives each ir as a separate syx file.
4. I use fractool and export a csv file that maps every cab to their preset. This also helps me in finding if duplicate irs in the user ir bank exist and to see which irs are not used for presets. (In case I need to free up slots)
This covers everything. You could also export bundles for your most used presets. I still wish there was a bulk way to do this.
However with item 4 above it is covered off.
After all this you have everything you need in case issues arise and if you have to revert to a previous firmware.

Last edited:
I use a 4 step process to regularly backup all presets.
1. Backup using fractal bot. This gives you bank, ir and global files. The bank files are bulk dumps of the banks.
2. Preset exports. In Manage Presets right click, highlight all and export all presets to a dedicated folder. This gives you the granularity of having all separate presets ready at any time.
3. Export cabs. Similarly, in Manage cabs, I right click and export all cabs to a folder. This gives each ir as a separate syx file.
4. I use fractool and export a csv file that maps every cab to their preset. This also helps me in finding if duplicate irs in the user ir bank exist and to see which irs are not used for presets. (In case I need to free up slots)
This covers everything. You could also export bundles for your most used presets. I still wish there was a bulk way to do this.
However with item 4 above it is covered off.
After all this you have everything you need in case issues arise and if you have to revert to a previous firmware.
For #2, you can also restore individual presets from the bank backups as well...

Hello, question for the group. I was finally able to upgrade to a new MacBook after many years. I have the axe effect iii but have never updated it. How important is backing it up before updating and is the process fairly painlesss? Thanks!
What firmware version are you using?

The update process is fairly simple, however based on the firmware you're currently running you may have more or less drastic changes in the sound afterwards.

Also, if it was pre-DynaCabs, you'll need to follow the steps for installing them as well.

Back
Top Bottom