Unintended Chorus/Echo Sound

Total noob here, so if there is a better place to post this please feel free to let me know.

I've been messing with the AXE FX III on and off for a few months now and have created a custom "Ma, the Meatloaf" channel as well as regularly using the "Eruption" scenes as I work on learning this song.

I've dialed this in to sound pretty nice, but recently I've noticed a strange echo/chorus type sound coming through my studio monitors as I play, even when all reverb/echo/chorus effects are disabled. Even more strangely, this echo sound does not come out in a playback of the recorded signal in FL Studio

I have a new Halo Argosy console that has speaker mounts for the studio speakers, and they are sitting higher than they were on my previous desk--still, this doesn't account for playback of recordings or music on Spotify sounding normal while live monitoring of the guitar sounds off.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time

is "Monitor" on in FL Studio while you're playing? it sounds like 2 copies of the signal are happening, and this is the most common cause.

I should be more clear--usually I play directly into the Axe FX III with monitors hard wired into OUT1. I only recorded the signal in FL Studio as a troubleshooting step, the issue was happening before any type of recording, just playing live

I should be more clear--usually I play directly into the Axe FX III with monitors hard wired into OUT1. I only recorded the signal in FL Studio as a troubleshooting step, the issue was happening before any type of recording, just playing live
Export and upload the preset so we can see for ourselves what could be happening, otherwise we'd have to guess hundreds of possibilities.

I can do that if it will help--but this is happening on every preset, even the factory ones
ok, that's new information, as you only mentioned "custom" presets in the first post.

something is playing back your sound twice. you mentioned:
I play directly into the Axe FX III with monitors hard wired into OUT1
what monitors and how is it exactly setup?

are you certain it's not you hearing the actual sound of the guitar and the monitors at the same time at low volumes?

Understood. The custom presets were my benchmark for a sound that was working properly for me and I was regularly using at one point, before this issue came up. Now that I've heard this issue, I've gone back and checked many of the factory presets and the issue persists

I'm using two Adam F5 powered studio monitors, mounted on the back of the angled brackets of the Argosy Halo console.

My guitar goes into a patch module, then tuner, then axe fx, but Ive plugged directly into the front of the axe fx and had the same issue.

Two different guitars also present the same issue. I cant imagine why this is only happening when monitoring live, and not when recorded and played back through the monitors

Does the issue occur when plugging your guitar directly into the Axe-Fx and monitoring with headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the Axe?

That's a great question--I just tried this and it sounded normal.

At this time I had my USB unplugged from the laptop. I took out the headphones and turned the monitors back on, and no issue. When I plugged in my USB so I could play over a spotify song through the monitors connected to the AXE, I noticed the issue come back.

What I think is happening is the AXE is an input to my computer's sound card via USB, and the USB return is playing through OUT1. This loop has a small latency. This mix includes both my spotify song and the guitar input playback. At the same time, my AXE is going direct to my monitors in OUT1

Now I just need to change a few settings to correct this, which I think I can figure out on my own.

Thanks all for the troubleshooting help!

Edit: This is exactly the same type of issue @chris was trying to point to in an earlier response about FL Studio monitoring the signal, however when I'm not using FL Studio it's a setting in control panel instead that I likely have monitoring the input

When this happens to me it’s always because I’m direct monitoring thru the interface as well as thru my daw. I keep my interface monitoring muted

what monitors and how is it exactly setup?
I’m using Adam A7, but more importantly I’m using the presonus 192. I keep all my fractal channel outs on the 192 muted when my daw is running and active. Otherwise I end up hearing both the direct signal from the interface as well as the latency induced signal from the DAW overlapping which is exactly what you’re hearing.

Back
Top Bottom