Ultra to Axe 2 Patch Upload Error

derrylgabel

Hi fellow axe users, I tried to upload a patch to the Axe 2 using Axe Edit that I created with the Ultra. It's a .syx file. When I tried to import the patch I got an error message. Are files / patches created with the Ultra not compatible with the Axe 2?

Thanks! If anybody out there knows of a work around please let me know.

No workaround, you have to recreate your patches manually.
Old patches and their FX settings can be a good guide, though.
Just amps sound different, so I'd advice you to create those from scratch. Take your time, the Axe II really is different, despite the similar amp sims and parameters.

No workaround, you have to recreate your patches manually.
Old patches and their FX settings can be a good guide, though.
Just amps sound different, so I'd advice you to create those from scratch. Take your time, the Axe II really is different, despite the similar amp sims and parameters.

I just heard from Dweezil Zappa. He said there was a work around mentioned on the forum. He was going to look for it and send me the link. I realize that it won't sound the same but it would give me a good starting point.

I just heard from Dweezil Zappa. He said there was a work around mentioned on the forum.

That's news to me, but I'd gladly hear about it, so make sure to check back to your thread once you got the link ;)

FWIW, I had my Ultra for more than 3,5 years before I got the II. While patches and banks are not compatible, I made good use of my old patches (regular backups are a must) just by looking at them in Axe-Edit to see what I did with the routing, modifiers, blocks in use and generally how I set the parameter values.
Saved me alot of hassle and quite some time, as "dialing by numbers" is quick and easy.
Beyond that, there's always the Axe II Wiki and this wonderful forum :)

If there were a workaround (aside from copying the settings) it would be well known and on the wiki. And as noted above, the patch won't sound the same anyway.

There is no real workaround that I know of. You can however create two seperate installs of Axe-Edit (one for the ultra and one for the II) and run them side by side so you can easily reference your Ultra settings while creating your II presets. But the bottom line is they are two different animals.

Back
Top Bottom