Ultra for fx only

Anyone using their Ultra for effects only? If so…what's your thoughts?

When I bought an Ultra in 2009, my intention was to use it for effects only, 4 cable-method through a Mesa Road King head. It sounded GREAT. Much better than the Digit-tech GSP-1000 I tried before. Probably a hair better than the AXE-FX II I use now. It was a bit complicated on the floor to have one controller for the Road King and a separate midi rig for the Axe. I could have integrated the Road King switching into the midi rig, but the lure of all those amp models in the Axe had me ditching the Road King after a couple of months. Plus all that gear weighed a ton.

Did you have any issues with "tone-suckage" using the 4CM? I've read several threads where guys said they tried it, but soon ditched it b/c the sound changed too much.

I didn't have any problem with hum, but like anything you put in the path, it changed the tone a little. The Road King had plenty of balls so there was no real issue with that. My issues were foot control complexity, weight and time to connect everything up. The other guitar player in the band said it was the best tone I ever had. He had lots of problems with tone suckage on his Dual Rectifier whenever he put anything in the loop and he never tried Fractal stuff.

I have an Ultra that I use for effects only. I bought a Yamaha DXR10 (I know, I know, its not the CLR!!) and tried using the amp modelling in the Axe. I think it has the sound of a mic'd amp, but not the amp in the room sound, which is what I prefer, so I just use it for effects now.

I've run it before an amp and in the loop. I tried 4CM but found it sucked too much tone for my liking. Its a great effects unit. No better sounding than my old G system, but the computer editor is good and the routing capabilities I've found useful to keep my tone when running lots of effects.

Back
Top Bottom