Uh-ohh! Startup failure

boyscout

Today on startup the Axe II froze, most LEDs blazing with a blank display for about fifteen seconds, then the display showed a mottled grey pattern and stayed there. I shut it off for ten seconds, and it then started normally.

My Axe II is just weeks old, tenderly transported by me from the store to my home, where it has not been moved or even jostled since the day it arrived. It is protected by a Furman power conditioner, and I turn the Axe on and off individually, not by just powering the Furman. I wish that *I* was handled as gently as my Axe is.

Anyone else seen this? Does it mean something may be failing? Is there a diagnostic routine I can run?

Thanks.

- [freezing on bootup] JJ: Yeah, if I do not turn on my AFX last when powering up that will happen to me. Apparently it does not like the flood of MIDI messages at start up.
- Just heard back from FAS, here's what they said: "Some early units had temperamental primary oscillators that wouldn’t always start properly. This can cause the unit to not boot on power-up occasionally. We can replace the oscillator if this bothers you. However, the unit should be otherwise fine."
- Cliff, 7/2011: There is a known anomaly in the DSPs that can cause the processor to fail to boot occasionally. Turn the power off and back on. [also could be caused by using external power on/off system?]

Yup, had this happen just last night. I've had my unit a little over year now. The start up thing doesn't happen very often, but when it does, just power off and reboot. Never a problem once it's started.

Back
Top Bottom