Tweaking MS Word interface for visually impaired user?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
This question is so unrelated to Fractal, I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but you folks are so resourceful.

My father-in-law (99 y.o.!) is a history author and uses a computer in very rudimentary ways. He's struggling with the technology, and uses Word essentially like a fancy typewriter. A new challenge is cataracts and general visual impairment, to the extent that his use of Word is being severely limited.

Where I need help is this: is there a way to increase the size of the various buttons, icons, and commands in MS Word? When I set the various sizing options in Windows (accessibility, screen resolution, font sizes, etc.), Word stubbornly continues to display everything (user interface) in the same microscopic size. The only thing I managed to increase is the text size in the document itself (that's a no-brainer) but nothing in the Word interface. I don't have Word on my PC (I use open source alternatives), so I can't experiment except when visiting him. And my google searches for "Word customization" have yielded a gazillion unrelated menu and functionality tweaks.

I'd be very grateful to anyone who has tips or advice.

Back
Top Bottom