Tweak Presets at Volume w/o Hurting Ears

Matt007

Inspired
Any tips on how you are tweaking presets for FRFR or real cabs at volume (90 db+) without hurting your ears?

I need to move air for sure to get the best sounds, Fletcher Munson curve, etc.

At loud levels without ear protection I play pretty timid in terms of digging in sometimes and am sensitive to spiky high frequencies.

The molded earplugs that I use for gigging are supposedly flat, but they cut a lot of high frequencies in reality. So the tones sound good to me with ear protection, but are usually too bright in reality.

Curious what others do. Studio monitors at reasonable levels might be a good middle ground option for testing.

Tone is key, but also protecting hearing!

Last edited:
The only thing you can really do is limit your exposure, don't sit with 90dB+ for an extended period of time.

I dial them in a little lower and then raise it up to 90db to check them. Even though playing at 90+ db sounds and feels great, ears fatigue quickly and you'll end up dialing in too much high end in my experience.
My oh my. Enjoy not having to listen to your grandchildren’s voices.

Everybody used to make fun of Old SoundMan for wearing earplugs when he mixed FOH (“what a pussy…”) — not so much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom