Tuning and Virtual Capo Question

Jipps0525

Power User
Just ordered a new guitar. Play in a band now that does everything in E flat tuning, but we don’t play out that frequently enough to worry about it to much. Just curious what the best tuning option is here:

1) keep the guitar setup for E standard and physically tune down a half step for rehearsals/gigs
2) keep the guitar setup for E standard and use virtual capo to tune down a half step for rehearsals/gigs

3) have the guitar setup for E flat and physically tune up a half step for normal jamming, practice or playing around on my own
4) have the guitar setup for E flat and use virtual capo to tune up a half step for normal jamming, practice or playing around on my own

I know it ain’t that big of a deal, just wondering how other experienced players approach this

My experience with the Axe III and the FM9 is that the virtual capo works very well for a half or for a full step down. No problem with that. So I vote for 2 or 4, depending on how important the standard E tuning is for you.

IMHO.. #3. Or #4, but kind of depends on which unit. The FM3 pitch block is not as good as the FM9 and Axe-Fx III. Maybe a Pitch Fork of Digitech 'Drop' pedal would be convenient?

Although I use and enjoy the VC, I usually have my guitars tuned to the pitch the band will be using. IF, Cliff gives us a separate VC block, that will most likely change as I prefer the feel of Eb tuning. I like to keep my pitch blocks available for detuning, mimic and harmonizing if possible.

I would use the VC without hesitation, but for which tuning to use on your guitar, I'd let how the feel of the strings under your fingers be the deciding factor.
True. I guess I’ll have to play the guitar a lot first to get a feel and mess with the tunings physically to see how much the guitar feel changes

I was also trying to see if some people think using the VC works better tuning up a half step vs down a half step. I’m a variax user so haven’t been using the VC much. I may just physically change between tuning the guitar E to Eb so I can keep the pitch block open for other stuff like wammy or octave. In my experience, half step down doesn’t cause too much slack to really negatively affect playing

Back
Top Bottom