Bug? Tuning accuracy test (with video)

overture1922

Inspired
Hello

I compared the Fm3 with two other tuners using a frequency generator.

With 440,0 frequency:
Fm3 reads +0,8c
AP tuner for Windows: -0,2c
A-Tuner for Android: -0,1c

With 440,2 frequency:
Fm3 reads +1,6c
AP tuner for Windows: +0,6
A-Tuner for Android: +0,7c

I also checked the Polytune Clip before with the same frequency generator and the results match the AP tuner and the A-Tuner.

One of two things:
-Fractal is accurate and the other 3 tuners are not.
-The other 3 tuners are accurate and Fractal is not.

It is apples to oranges because strings change and also they move when tuning. The only time I tend to have an issue with a tuner is if my pitch is at an odd place - say in between an Eb and D for example or if the strings are old. Sometimes the AX tuner doesn't pick things up but that can happen with the polyclip as well. Pitch testing is great, I suppose, but not really all that useful when you are on the road in Dayton OH at 9:13pm and you are tuning between songs....

Given the tuners you are comparing the FM3 with, I would say the FM3 is accurate and the others are not. I have the Polytune clip and a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I use the Poly clip when changing strings to get the tuning somewhat close. While the Poly clip is convenient and does a decent job, it has never really been one I would recommend for consistently accurate tuning. Comparing the Turbo Tuner and FM3 tuner, the FM3 is just as accurate.

Using a tone played through a tablet for the test doesn't seem to be the best way to conduct the test if you want clear, precise results.

Last edited:
Given the tuners you are comparing the FM3 with, I would say the FM3 is accurate and the others are not. I have the Polytune clip and a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I use the Poly clip when changing strings to get the tuning somewhat close. While the Poly clip is convenient and does a decent job, it has never really been one I would recommend for consistently accurate tuning. Comparing the Turbo Tuner and FM3 tuner, the FM3 is just as accurate.

Using a tone played through a tablet for the test doesn't seem to be the best way to conduct the test if you want clear, precise results.
The pedal polytune is also pretty bad. It doesn't even agree with itself between it's operating modes. The polytube mode is not even close.

FWIW, I did a similar comparison a while ago between my ST-300 mini and FM3. I get better results from the Turbo Tuner. Maybe it's bias, but the "normal view" of the FM3 tuner isn't as accurate as the TT, and I can tune so that the TT lights actually stop while the FM3's strobe lights are still moving. They don't completely agree.

Which one is more accurate? I don't know. But I'm convinced it sounds better with the TT. Which is fine, because I already owned it (actually 2 of them), it frees up a footswitch on the FM3, and it actually mutes the input in the extremely rare case where the FM3 goes wonky instead of it requiring the FM3 to be functional to mute with my foot.

When I’ve tested the Axe-FX tuner with a sine test tone, it's fine below 400 Hz. Above that, it gives inconsistent, but generally sharp, readings. In other words, it gives good results in the range of open guitar strings.

When I’ve tested the Axe-FX tuner with a sine test tone, it's fine below 400 Hz. Above that, it gives inconsistent, but generally sharp, readings. In other words, it gives good results in the range of open guitar strings.
Yes, in the video I tested only with 440hz (which is A4). After that I also tested with E2, A2, D3, G3 (which corresponded to the 6th to 3rd string) and it more accurate in relation to the generated tone.

Back
Top Bottom