Tube Power Amp with AXE FX III Fryette G2902s or G2502s

metalms

Hello,
I am looking at adding a power amp for my Axe iii. I am looking for stereo capabilities to be able to use the Axe stereo effects thru 2 412 cabs. I first looked at the ENGL E840 5050 and now looking at the Fryette G2502S and G2902S. Any suggestions on these 3 guys? I have it narrowed down to those. Not interested in KSR PA50 or other non rack tube power amps.

I was originally going to go the FRFR route with 2 of the Laney FR212 cabs but fear I might be left wanting again as I have in past FRFR cab situations. (Kemper with Kemper Cab and Kemper with Mission Cab).

On a side note:
I connected the Axe iii to my Badlander 100 return and that sounded pretty damn sweet. However, I would like a stereo rack mountable power amp for this case.

Lastly, do you have to use output 1's 1/4" output on the Axe III for tube power amps or can you use output 3L?

I have seen multiple ways to do this and have been referencing the manual. I have been disabling power amp and cab in the Global settings as well as disabling a few other settings in the Amp block or zeroing them out per the manual. I then just use output 1 to tube amp.

Can you leave the global settings alone (meaning cab and power emulation on) and just save a preset with the power amp modeling off in the amp block and just not use a cab block for the preset using a power amp? Seems like it is a redundant process doing for the global as well.

Thank you in advance.

I can’t help much I don’t have any of those three. I have not connected my axe to the Fryette I have. I have however connected my zen tour and several hybrid lunch box amps, joyo atomic orange micro dark and the Freytte really made them come alive. I am a huge Fryette fan but only have the one product the ps100. I look forward to seeing any various ways people connect to power amps with the axe. Sadly my cabs are currently extremely hard to get to with all my remodeling going on. Ona side note I am eyeing the lxii but since I have one ps100 adding a second is an option with more versatility but more bulk and weight as well. Good luck on your stereo quest!

Rumor has it the PA50 is about to be available in rack format.
The VHT 2-90-2 is legit af. Crazy heavy though.
Haven't tried the Engl, but... I've never really liked anything from them. My $0.02.

I am also a fan of the Fryette stuff, so I'd recommend going that route if you are set on getting a tube power amplifier. I have the PS-2 and the 2/90/2 amongst several other Fryette products. I have no experience with the ENGL power amp.

You do not need to use out 1 for the power amp. I use output 2 with my power amp and guitar cab stereo setup.

Yes, you can have individual presets setup for use with the power amp modeling off. You don’t have to switch it off globally every time. The controls are in the amp block. That said, I suggest running it with the power amp modeling on when using a standalone tube power amp like the 2/50/2 or 2/90/2. Use it whichever way sounds best for your setup, but make sure to try it both ways before deciding.

I'm currently running my cabinets with a solid state amp (QSC PLX3102). I use the tube power amp for a different setup (with a tube preamp).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom