Trey Anastasio

jeffgoobs

Inspired
Okay, this is my first attempt at making my own patch, so please be gentle and pardon my ignorance in advance, as this is as simple a preset as it gets, really. (I'm only about six weeks in with the FM3, so I'm still pretty green with programming it.) I spent a bit of time tweaking things here and there, and finally came up with this as a start. Mind you, this is completely ignoring his actual effects chain in any way. When I started to build the tone using that methodology, I found that it required too much retroactive tweaking of too many variables, and I couldn't land where I wanted. I'll deal with the actual effects chain later. I just wanted a solid, standard Trey tone with which to start, so there's the drive, compressor, and some reverb and delay. Disclaimer: I have not tried anyone else's Trey presets yet. This is calculated, as I wanted to figure it out myself.

When it comes to listening to Trey, and which era of his tone I prefer, I'm more of a '94 Machine Gun Trey tone type of guy. That said, this is more of a 1.0, late '90s Trey tone, as it's based on the Deluxe Reverb, which is my actual tube amp, and has been for 20 years. (I work on circuit boards a lot, and do my own high and low voltage repairs, so I know the amp well, and have an easier time tweaking modeled versions of that sort of amp; when I tried the Comet models, I didn't like what I was getting.) Here's a very whimsical testing of the patch, just recorded from my Studio Display's mic. Please forgive any missed notes, my [terrible] half-assed singing, and lack of the Type II face-melting jam that I had to cut from the end. (10) 🫠😬 I just wanted to get something recorded quickly to get/give a general idea what it sounds like without messing with the DAW variables just yet. Edit: Updated patch is a few posts down.

Last edited:
Pretty cool!
If the Komet didn’t do it for you try the Ruby Rocket. That and the Deluxe Reverb are my current favorites.
Yeah, the DR is my go-to, for sure.

Incidentally, here is an updated version of my Trey preset. I adjusted a lot since the last one. Some changes I made were making the compressor so that it's in parallel, adding in the second drive block (and creating the associated overdrive scene), adding in a HPF/LPF and tweaking the settings so that the guitar's volume knob is more sensitively correlated to the amount of drive (amongst a bunch of other things that I can't remember.) It sounds better now.

Edit: Version 1.3 posted below.

Last edited:
Played through the first one and was going to suggest a 2nd drive, then I saw the 2nd preset. Very, very nice. Well done!

Version 1.3

Added a "Machine Gun Trey" scene utilizing the CAE+ > Boogie Mk IIC+ setup similar to what he used in the early '90s.
Added an enhancer at the end of the chain for Trey's standard "Thick Crunch" scene. Adds a bit of polished glassiness to the top end.
Added a pitch block to serve as a Whammy, controlled by Pedal 2 (Pedal 1 is the wah)
Added phaser block set to a subtle Univibe setting
Added scene called "Train" which should be obvious what it's for

Edit: By the way, since starting this preset, I've gotten an Axe-Fx III, so this latest version was made with an Axe-Fx III using Axe-Edit III instead of an FM3 version made with FM3 Edit, as the original was. If anyone has any issues with the cross-pollination, definitely let me know. (Should this also be posted in the Axe-Fx III Preset Exchange? Is that a thing, or is that only if there are actual differences?)

Attachments

• [jeffgoobs] Trey 1.3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom