Transporting Axe FX III and FC-12

I have the SKB 8U deep rolling rack and I have to say I regret not getting a shallow rack. The deep racks can fit two rigs in them from what I can see and I really don't need that much space.

I’ve only been using my 7U for about a week but no overheating. There’s actually pretty generous space around the sides. A couple inches. The photos on the site are poor.
Just curious how the case for the FC is working out? Did you mount the FC and your pedal in it or do you just use it as a carrying case?

Hey! I haven't used the case yet; I was in a rush to leave the house when I took it out and threw it in an old gig bag instead. I plan on just using it as a carrying case, though. I don't know how you would mount it in there, exactly. The lid doesn't come off, so it would be awkward on stage.

I've been watching this thread, as I'm trying to find a case to put my AxeFxIII and FC-12 in as well. These cases at Newark.com look like a great deal! I was looking at this one in particular, as I really only need one big enough for the Axe and a Furman power conditioner:

https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pro/555-19602/medium-depth-abs-19-rackmount/dp/25AC5169

However, one question I have for the group is, do these cases allow for enough airflow for the Axe? It would appear the sides of the case are solid and would block the venting holes on the side of the Axe. Could this cause overheating? I know it's important to keep computer equipment cooled, not sure if the Axe would get that hot or not. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks to those who responded with the case suggestions so far, this was very helpful.

Have you experienced any overheating issues since you rack mounted your Axe-Fx III? I mounted mine in an 8 unit rolling Gator rack that looks very similar in design to yours. So far, I have not.experienced heating issues but I have not taken it out on a Florida outside gig yet. There is only about 1/2 inch of clear space between the sides of the rack and the cooling grid on the sides of the unit with my rack.

Have you experienced any overheating issues since you rack mounted your Axe-Fx III? I mounted mine in an 8 unit rolling Gator rack that looks very similar in design to yours. So far, I have not.experienced heating issues but I have not taken it out on a Florida outside gig yet. There is only about 1/2 inch of clear space between the sides of the rack and the cooling grid on the sides of the unit with my rack.
No overheating issues with mine either. Although, I've only used it indoors, up to this point.

No overheating issues with mine either. Although, I've only used it indoors, up to this point.

Thanks for your info. Soon hot weather will be upon us here in Florida. Outdoor gigs can be long, hard, hot affairs. We attempt to be sure our band and our gear are under cover so as not to be directly in the sun, but it’s still very hot at times. So, I guess we will see how it goes. I will be sure to have a second fan, with the first pointing at me, that I will point at the back of the open rack to try to at least move air around as best as possible.

We'll see! I set up the 7U rack last night, and it wasn't too bad to move around. The handle is actually a little more sturdy than I expected, but yes, I don't expect it to last. It's almost too large to comfortably carry, but not quite.

It's not a whole lot worse than carrying a 2x12, and this thing holds all my gear.

I'll report back in a few weeks once I've give it a fair shake and see how it all holds up going from place to place. Right now I've got the lids stored under a couch in the next room while it's set up in my office.
How has your experience been with that 7U rack after about 1 year? Do you still have it? Has it held up for your usage?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts if you’re willing to share! :)

P.S. sorry for the necro! I bookmarked that website for when I needed a new case, and thought to check back here now that I’m looking to get one…

How has your experience been with that 7U rack after about 1 year? Do you still have it? Has it held up for your usage?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts if you’re willing to share! :)

P.S. sorry for the necro! I bookmarked that website for when I needed a new case, and thought to check back here now that I’m looking to get one…
Works great, no issues, never think about it at all. Parts of it are starting to rust a little. I suspect that's because I roll it around outside in the snow, rain, whatever. But it is 100% still good, and I'd buy it again.

Back
Top Bottom