Top FRFR's these days?

I have the Asm 10's which are not as dark as the 12's and not as heavy. I like them and should be content I suppose.
My 12's dont sound dark. one thing I have found out that not much information is out there on how to set them up but I do know that on the back of them you want the level turned up to at least 8 and the low cut turned off for them to sound like they should. under 8 yes they sound dark

I am thinking about switching for monitors to something with more clout. I was thinking of the Friedmans. I was thinking the ASC series. I dont think I want the tilt back, beem right in your face style. I had the QSC-K Types before and they just annoyed me a bit. Just cannot decide on the 10 or the 12. Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on the Headrush FRFR 112? I am leaning towards the EV, but at less than half the cost, the Headrush is attractive.

Any thoughts on the Headrush FRFR 112? I am leaning towards the EV, but at less than half the cost, the Headrush is attractive.
I've got a couple headrush FRFR12s...they sound ok if you can't afford anything else. Personally I only use mine for backing tracks after going the DIY F12-x200 route. There's really no comparison between them and the DIY cost is about the same as the headrush.

I've got a couple headrush FRFR12s...they sound ok if you can't afford anything else. Personally I only use mine for backing tracks after going the DIY F12-x200 route. There's really no comparison between them and the DIY cost is about the same as the headrush.
@Justincase, out of curiousity, how do backing tracks sound through your homemade F12-x200 cabs?

Don't think I really want two separate playback setups just for that.
An more importantly, if I want my guitar tracks to sound good in a mix, seems like I should be listening to them through a system that reproduces recorded tracks well.

@Justincase, out of curiousity, how do backing tracks sound through your homemade F12-x200 cabs?

Don't think I really want two separate playback setups just for that.
An more importantly, if I want my guitar tracks to sound good in a mix, seems like I should be listening to them through a system that reproduces recorded tracks well.

The F12-x200 work good for playback too just has less low frequency response.
I'm using an Axefx3 so I have two headrush FRFR12s and two Yamaha HS5 studio monitors on output 1. I run guitar to output 3 to a power amp to a pair of F12-x200. I don't run everything to the F12-x200 because drums hit harder on the headrush although everything translates well without much adjustment when recording and playback thru output 1. Playing thru the celestions is just a much more enjoyable less sterile experience.

Headrush
46Hz-22kHz
Celestion F12-x200
60Hz-20kHz

The CLR Neo II is a great sounding speaker. Thankfully, I haven’t had any issues, hearing how difficult it’s been to get warranty service of late. The RCF NX12SMA is an awesome option as well, with a smaller dispersion that works well on a crowded stage (keeps you from hosing everyone as badly) or larger stage where the sound needs to travel a bit. It’s made in Italy and I haven’t found a repair facility in the US. That could be a downer if you need it.

Ive thought about trying the power amp/speaker thing but just don’t want to add to the cartage. FRFR has been good for me. I still have the original 50-watt tube Atomic non-coaxial I started with in 2011. Need to sell that one of these days!

On a "sound quality" level, PA manufactures have been chasing full range flat response forever. They have invested several orders of magnitude more R & D funding into this pursuit than all the guitar centric FRFR manufactures combined. If you are using FRFR, ultimately your audience will hear your guitar through a PA system, why not monitor your sound using the most accurate representation of that? Most of the guitar geared FRFRs that I have tried color your tone despite what they claim.
Even if someone is not running through FOH, two EVs still make a great speaker for filling a small to medium sized room. They can get LOUD (129 db according to the spec-sheet), so a pair of them behind you will put out more sound than most clubs will allow on stage and a lot more than most audience members are willing to subject themselves to.

EV uses Dynacord amplifiers in the PXMs, and both are very experienced in the PA/FOH/live sound world.
On a "form factor" level, the EV is a winner as well. It is light weight and can be used with several different angles. It has onboard DSP to accommodate for different placements. The coaxial design sounds much more natural as a guitar monitor than a separate horn and woofer.
The speakers sound very natural and the modeler through them is a pleasure to hear.

Last edited:
I am thinking about switching for monitors to something with more clout. I was thinking of the Friedmans. I was thinking the ASC series. I dont think I want the tilt back, beem right in your face style. I had the QSC-K Types before and they just annoyed me a bit. Just cannot decide on the 10 or the 12. Any suggestions?
I use the ASC-12's and love them. yes they are heavy but beats touting around 2 heavy 4x12's and the ASC-12's take up less room than 2 4x12's as well and you still get that real cab sound.

Ive been through the major players Atomic, Friedman Xitone. To me all of those have the same issue, the crossover. With a high and low driver they have to crossover at some frequency. And whathappens at that point do they overlap? To Me an ideal FRFR for guitar should be either full range or crossed over 3 ways and with the three way be able to tune each drivers crossover point and volume. For live I liked the Friedman's on stage however at 50 foot from the stage all that saturated the mix was the other guitar players old ratty ass Peavy 412. It's all subjective to what you want to hear and in what environment. Personally I do all my practicing through in ears and had to output EQ for my stage speakers. That band is over and the next one we are going to do all in ears no live amps on stage so its down to FOH mixer to make it sound good.

One last note. I ended up using four LD Systems ICOA 12 PA speakers two for me on stage and one on either side of the PA. Great speakers designed like CLR in that the high driver is mounted in front of bass woofer, also the horn drive can be turned for floor monitor use. They have a pretty nice EQ section which you don't get with CLR, Friedman and passive xitones. They are also Priced cheap $300 without bluetooth and $360 with when I bought them. They may have discontinued the non Bluetooth version and seems everyone is selling them now for $399 Honestly give these a try you will be blown away.

I have 2x Xitone passive wedges, Matrix GT1000FX and 2x Friedman ASM12 for sale in florida id anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.05.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.05.32 PM.png
    537 KB · Views: 33
I heard good things about the Dynacord AXM 12A, on a thread here also. I bought one - so impressed just ordered another. They're being discontinued though I think, the alternative is the EV version, which has been mentioned here somewhere. Cheaper than the CLR and perhaps quite comparable. Big name brands, easy service etc. It's a winner I think.

I have a Headrush. Can’t recommend it as a stand-alone.

I was going to sell it/give it away then realized it does pretty good as a third speaker as it adds some base response. It’s basically my woofer. Lol.

I have a Headrush. Can’t recommend it as a stand-alone.

I was going to sell it/give it away then realized it does pretty good as a third speaker as it adds some base response. It’s basically my woofer. Lol.
Thanks for the feedback. I had gone ahead and bought the EV anyway as it seemed to be the better choice. And it does sound really good.

Back
Top Bottom