Took the Plunge - Testing out QSC HPR122i - Tips or Tricks?

Hi All,

My primarily use studio monitors - great for low volumes - very happy.

Looking for the same flat response / full range tone at much higher volumes. I have tried cheap Behringer models - very muddy and brittle sounding.

Now I have finally brought home the renowned QSC-HPR122i (one cab) to try as it's had so much press on this forum.

First impressions: Big difference over cheap models, very clear distinct mid-range, almost excactly the same tone as my studio monitors - just louder, not as smooth on the high-end as I would have expected, not sure that they justify the $899.00 tax included GC price tag.

Are there any tips or tricks that current QSC users could provide to maximise my listening / testing experience (i.e. what is the optimal AXE output level combined with the QSC gain level, any global adjustments found to be nessicary, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Turn it up and have fun.

I tend to prefer it on it's side and faced at me from the front. I tend to put it far enough in front of me to have it aimed at my head directly.

It's not FRFR as compared to higher end studio monitors. It's a PA speaker. It's on the (lower) midrange of the consumer market in price point. It delivers exceptionally well for the price. If you step to to the $1200+ range, you'll get a tigher top end. If you go all out into the $3000+ Meyer zone... sonic nirvana. Let's keep it in perspective.

It works great in most any situation. It's damn heavy and that's a drag. I've been lugging the damn thing all over for the past year and a half and it's served me very well in a variety of situations and never failed in the hottest direct sunlight or the coldest outdoor setting. My front LED no longer works; that's my only 'issue' past the damn weight. :D

Back
Top Bottom