Tone Success Story

Seven2Eleven

Inspired
I had a gig this past weekend where we were asked to cover the song After the Party by The Menzingers. I never heard the song or the band. It's a solid punk rock song from 2017 with simple but good sounding guitars. I decided to research the band a little and saw a they had a Rig Rundown on YouTube. The guitarist ran a JCM 800 and a JTM 45 always on together. His pedalboard was pretty simple with a Klon KTR as the main drive. I even got to hear his base tone in the video. I decided to try to clone his rig in my FM9. I made a simple preset with the Brit 800 2203 High Model and Brit JM45 Jumped models running in parallel, hard panned left and right, a simple plate reverb at the end and the Klon drive model at the beginning. I copied the amp settings I saw in the rig run down to use as a starting point adjusted just a little to a suit my guitar. I didn't use any advanced parameters and only stuck to the controls on the tone page.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. It sounded absolutely killer. It also felt amazing. It was so responsive to my picking dynamics and volume knob. I was so surprised at how well it cleaned up. The way the amp reacted to the Klon model was also outstanding. In the song, there were only two main tones; a lighter crunch and a heavier rhythm tone. Using the Klon to switch between those tones worked so well.

I played through the preset in stereo at home and I was addicted to the tone. There was a nice separation between the two amps. They complimented each other as the JTM model seemed to fill in some of the gaps the JCM had. At the gig, I unfortunately had to run it in mono. It still sounded killer at the gig but because of how good it sounded in stereo, I'm tempted to try to run in stereo at future gigs.

I've only played a real Marshall only a handful of times but I never got to really crank them. I'm usually more of a clean fender amp kind of guy but this whole experience was a real eye (ear?) opener.

Just wanted to share this success story. Thanks Fractal!

Beware of stereo diffusion in concert, if I do a concert in a concert hall I generally broadcast the guitar in stereo. But a diffusion with a very marked stereo space can be annoying in the room, the entire audience will not be positioned in the "sweet spot" for listening ..... a very marked stereo effect can be counterproductive .... especially if you want to make a very marked balance of the 2 amps ....
Personally on the temporal effects I reduce the spread to 50% except for the reverb I leave it at 100%. I do not use an amp mix, but if I needed to do it, I would avoid making a very marked left / right balance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom