Tone Shaping - Sharp PEQ Cuts

I use @2112 ’s “humbucker simulator” EQ before the amp (from his gift of tone). It de-nasty-fies my strat just nicely. Then a PEQ last to do the sweep for shrill frequencies or highly resonant bass frequencies, and give them a surgical cut, but not too deep.

I never thought of Matt’s reverse method! Sounds really interesting. Love learning tips like that from pro’s here.

"Do I ever" isn't a super meaningful question to me. I do what I need to do.

Scrutinize? Like crazy but after a while it becomes more instinctive.
Something I'm into recently is cutting to "de-clutter." I look for frequencies I can cut (in a mix) without really changing the character of what I'm listening to*. It helps (in reverse?) to answer to the question, "Which frequencies are creating the essential character here that I find pleasing?"

Of course, this comes AFTER the kinds of EQing that create that essential pleasing character. I would say it's uncommon but not unheard of that this means making "sharp PEQ cuts". It all depends.

*This is like an inside-out version of the age-old technique of boosting to find the things one doesn't like, then cutting those frequencies.

This!!

Back
Top Bottom