Toggle between 2 scenes with external latching footswitch (with LED)

Matthes

Sorry if that has been discussed before but I could not find anything similar - so maybe this is helpful for someone else too:

Toggling between 2 scenes using an external momentary switch is easy by simply using “Stand-in Switches” functionality.
But I wanted to use a Marshall footswitch with LED that is a (standard) latching switch.
(I like the LED feature because it gives you the additional visual feedback about the current switching state.)
I finally found a solution how to setup the FM3 to make that work (Firmware 3.01):

In this example I am in “Layout 1” and the external mono latching footswitch is connected to the FM3’s “Pedal 1” input.
My goal is to toggle with this footswitch between “Scene 1” and “Scene 2” (here labeled as: “Rhythm” and “Lead”).
I already have my 3 physical on-board switches in use, so here I use the Stand-in Switch #4.

Step1:
For the TAP function set Category: “Scene”, Function: “Select” and Scene: “3” and unassign the HOLD function (Category: “Unassigned”):
1612519609956.png

Step 2:
On the FM3 unit go to “Setup => FC Controllers/Onboard Switches => Stand-In Switches”.
Set the layout “FM3 SW1 TIP” to the current layout (here: "Layout 1") and set the switch to Switch #4 (the one that was set up in the editor in the previous step):
P1050041.JPG

Step 3:
On the FM3 unit go to “Setup => MIDI/Remote => Other”.
Set “Scene Decrement” to “PEDAL 1 (EXP/SW TIP)”:
P1050042.JPG
Done.
At least for me it works and I can now toggle between scene 1 and scene 2 using my external latching footswitch.

Additional info for the Marshall footswitch with LED that I used:
Due to the footswitch’s internal resistor, the footswitch “appears to the FM3 as being not fully closed” (in the lack of better words).
I opened the footswitch and added a second resistor (with a much larger value - I used 220k) in series to the existing one.
Now the footswitch is working with the FM3 and the LED is still bright enough.

(I like the LED feature because it gives you the additional visual feedback about the current switching state.)
So if you've toggled to Scene 2 and you change presets the LED is not now in the "wrong" state?

This is the typical problem with external switches with LEDs...

Back
Top Bottom