Tips

Jay Jordan

As these things get out there I'd sure appreciate any best practices programming tips. Obviously a different animal than the MFC and requiring some rethinking.

I don't really like X/Y for drives and not sure a Drive 1 and Drive 2 are doable with other effects in the preset. Is it possible to eliminate the Y settings to free up CPU?

As I recall X/Y settings are free in that you do not pay for CPU cost for both but rather the most expensive one. CPU usage is always calculated on worst case scenario.

As I recall X/Y settings are free in that you do not pay for CPU cost for both but rather the most expensive one. CPU usage is always calculated on worst case scenario.
CPU is calculated by which state is selected, X or Y.

If you make a low CPU X, the CPU is low. If you make a high CPU Y, the CPU will increase only if you select Y.

The settings of Y have no effect whatsoever on the CPU usage or available CPU if you have X selected.

I don't really like X/Y for drives and not sure a Drive 1 and Drive 2 are doable with other effects in the preset. Is it possible to eliminate the Y settings to free up CPU?
You can use 2 drives if you'd like, though it does use more CPU to do it without X/Y. Putting everything you want in a preset, including two selections in those that are X/Y capable, then using scenes to select multiple on/off and X/Y states within the preset (kind of a preset-in-a-preset) is the most CPU efficient way to get them in if you don't actually need both at once. X/Y is arguably more important in the AX8 than it was in the Axe Fx because of the CPU differences between them.

CPU is calculated by which state is selected, X or Y.

If you make a low CPU X, the CPU is low. If you make a high CPU Y, the CPU will increase only if you select Y.

The settings of Y have no effect whatsoever on the CPU usage or available CPU if you have X selected.
Ok, I didn't remember it correctly. The CPU doesn't base usage on the unused state but if the user intends to use both state they should check CPU usage with both states to know what the worst case will be.,

OP, why don't you like XY for drives? It's a great way to get two drive settings in a preset without the additional CPU of a second drive block.

I typically play with a touch of overdrive live. I'd like to have two different gain pedals available, sort of like a 3 channel amp, all within the same preset, but still have other effects I might need available. I've tried it and the X/Y swap is just too delicate for me in the middle of the gig. Sometimes I wind up turning the lower drive off instead of the hotter Y drive on. Obviously a different scene within the preset is the way to go. I'm going to update the firmware today and see if that frees up some room for two drives.

This thing requires some rethinking but obviously the cat's ass otherwise!

Yea, the boost setting could help, or you can also use a filter/eq in front of the amp to boost it a bit... that might take the place of your regular drive, and then you can use the drive for solos.

You'll need to assign the amp block's Boost function to a controller.

In AX8 Edit, right-click on the icon just above the Boost switch. Set the Source to the controller that you want to use to control the on/off status of the boost function.

If you are not using any external switches, you can assign it to one of two available Scene Controllers. I assigned it to Scene Controller 1. After it is assigned, go over to the Controllers button (Just below the Grid, next to the Footswitches button), select the Scene button, and set the value for Controller 1 Scene 1 to 0% (off) and Scene 2 to 100% (on).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom