These M Audio BX8 nearfield monitors are not ideal right?

http://www.lapulga.com.do/f/2922877-1.jpg
To be used with the axe fx that is. I guess I'm trying to make the switch over to FRFR if I MUST. It's sad I'm not completely happy using my 4x12's with the Axe Fx. Could be that this Carvin DCM1000 SS power amp is the weakest link and I could try a tube PA instead. Like that SLA-2 that some talk highly of. Wait that's an SS poweramp isn't it?
MB

Ack. If you're looking for studio monitors (i.e. nearfield, lower-volume, critical listening), I'd avoid the BX8's. I had a pair for several years and had no end of problems (both technical and sound-quality-wise). I use and recommend Dynaudio monitors (BM5As or BM6As).

If you're looking for a louder volume application of FRFR (i.e. stage monitoring), the QSC or Verve units seem to be most popular. An SLA-2 would be good if you already have passive speakers (though a guitar cab would color your sound).

Thankyou for your replies,
So what to try next hmmm :twisted: Will the SLA-2 make that much of a difference over my Carvin DCM1000 you think? Or will I just be waisting $300 bux?
MB

MichiganboySB said:
So what to try next hmmm :twisted: Will the SLA-2 make that much of a difference over my Carvin DCM1000 you think? Or will I just be waisting $300 bux?
MB

I don't think the problem is your power amp. A lot of people on this board use the DCM 1000 and are completely happy. Unless the amp has some internal issues running to the SLA won't really make much differance. What seams to be lacking in your quest for happiness?

I have the m-audios and yeah they suck bad with the axefx......another to buy list for me is studio monitors that won't break the bank.....yeesh.... :roll:

Sixstring said:
MichiganboySB said:
MB

I don't think the problem is your power amp. A lot of people on this board use the DCM 1000 and are completely happy. Unless the amp has some internal issues running to the SLA won't really make much differance. What seams to be lacking in your quest for happiness?

Well everything is working ok, is loud enough etc... but there are a few behaviour characteristics which I can't seem to fix. For starters "note length" seems to die off too quickly rather than maintain a steady nice sound. (2) note clarity. I feel distracted by sounds other than the one note I'm playing, if that makes sense. Its an almost washed out note... blah! hard to explain. But its hard to get into your sound and music when there are these sideline sounds going on. I almost feel like the guitar is controlling me rather than me controlling the guitar. (3) Palm muting isn't as clear and crisp or dead quiet if you will. When I want to simply pluck a nice passage while slightly muting the strings... I get this boingy, springy, metallic sound in the string tone. Like I said the tone sound isn't as clear as I want. My happiness is suffering Sixstring! :lol:

Ttyl, MB

MichiganboySB said:
Sixstring said:
MichiganboySB said:
MB

Well everything is working ok, is loud enough etc... but there are a few behaviour characteristics which I can't seem to fix. For starters "note length" seems to die off too quickly rather than maintain a steady nice sound. (2) note clarity. I feel distracted by sounds other than the one note I'm playing, if that makes sense. Its an almost washed out note... blah! hard to explain. But its hard to get into your sound and music when there are these sideline sounds going on. I almost feel like the guitar is controlling me rather than me controlling the guitar. (3) Palm muting isn't as clear and crisp or dead quiet if you will. When I want to simply pluck a nice passage while slightly muting the strings... I get this boingy, springy, metallic sound in the string tone. Like I said the tone sound isn't as clear as I want. My happiness is suffering Sixstring! :lol:

Ttyl, MB

Ok...

Note length: have you turned off the Gate ? That thing is a sustain killer and will chaange things somewhat in how your guitar will react.

Note Clarity: This requires E/Q and is something you will have to experment with on as to the location and type of E/Q you use in the signal chain. I and others have had good success placing them after the Amp block and after the cab block when running FRFR. Also I want just confirm that you are not using a Cab block in your signal chain with the 412 cab your using... if you are take it out.

Palm mutting: If your into a highgain tone with dropped tunning the above will apply as well but the Gate will be needed to titen things up between picking but within the same given patch set up for that type of tone plucking litely may have it's challenges so playing around with the gates threshold and Ratio settings will be needed. I have a few different patches for these types of tones that your talking about.

All these things that are bugging you can be fixed you just have to tune them out them so some tunning time is in order. I know this and can say it confedently as I have a tube head that sits on top of my Standard that I did an A/B comparison with and I was able to recreat the tone of that head compleetly. Needless to say I realy turn it on anymore and if I do it's just to remind me that I don't need to have a plethora of exspensive tube heads to get what I want.

Start with the basics, amp block get the fundemental tone your looking for and go from there. Add some e/q and tune some more. and when your happy with the results add effects.

Good luck and get bussy tunning you can do it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom