The "what I have learned to build a small, but full featured, FM3 rig" thread.

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I just wanted to learn more about possible products and things you guys have bought and put on your boards specifically to reduce down to an FM3 rig? Midi is something I really have not messed with since '15 and my rack days, years previous. So figuring out what products I want to make things smaller than my FC12 , 3 pedals and a 2 banger. But not just midi foot controllers...other outboard gear too

Last edited:
For many gigs - especially those where I'm using only a handful of presets - I'm using FM3 plus 2 external buttons and one expression pedal. The external buttons' main functions are to (i) increment the view so the 3 buttons of the FM3 scroll through up to 4 views, giving me 12 primary and 12 secondary (hold) functions per layout, and (ii) tuner/mute. The primary tap functions are mostly for scene selection (a combination of toggling and incrementing), for FX block bypass, and for solo boosts. I use hold functions within presets to change to other presets, and on FX bypass buttons the hold function often increments channels within the FX block (especially for delays). The expression pedal variously controls wah, gain level, delay time, delay feedback, volume swell, depending on the particular scene/preset.

Being able to readily scroll views has been key to using just the FM3, and since I've been doing it this way there are fewer circumstances where I use my big board (which has an FC6, 4 expression controllers (2 full, 2 micro), and a ton of external switches).

I love using my Midi-Switcher MTX-5 from Musicomlab. I have this because I also used it with my Engl SE.

IMG_3058.jpeg

I just ordered a Midi Captain 10 button sucker on Amazon. I think this will be more my cup of tea than the Hotone. I will keep yall posted.

How is the Dunlop mini treating you? Feel decent enough and able to reduce back and forward in ok increments?

It’s great, and I prefer it to the Hotone I had on a prior small board, but:

1. I prefer a bigger treadle for controlling parameters that need really fine control or where it’s most common to have it sit mid-throw (I love the Fractcal full size expression pedal for such uses, and have one on my big board)

2. I have size 9 feet, but with bigger feet I’d likely prefer a bigger treadle (wider and longer).

I've done a number of tours on an external 2-button/single exp set-up, and although I've previously spent a considerable amount of time wondering if I should to dive into MIDI, I eventually realized it wasn't necessary. For me, Layout Links, Stand-In Switches, and Per-Preset Overrides always proved a workable way forward, and I still don't think I'll ever need MIDI unless I need to trigger functions on other devices. Even better was developing a real understanding of how I wanted the thing to work and then standardizing switches' functions across all my presets. It's made performing with the FM second nature.

Of course, an additional MIDI switcher can make things incredibly convenient, but if you're looking to keep a small and travel-friendly footprint, there are certainly ways of getting you where you need to go without extra devices and power supplies.

IMG_5105.jpeg
This is my all in one rig setup with my fm3, foot for my mic stand included on the upper left, since the photo I’ve just added a hotone 2 switch for tap tempo and midi cs.

The xsonic airstep is a really great midi switching system.
It’s small, 5 foot switches with hold/toggle options, 4 banks, midi in out, 2 expression pedal input, Bluetooth, can also change your tube amp channel. Can run on his own battery (that last really really long) or powered by usb.
And cheap. About 150€ if I remember well.

More than 100 4h hours+ outside gigs (so sun, hear, humidity, rain) without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom