The Mother of All Effects Matching Thread: Redux

pedalbuilder

Inspired
Thanks to the deep editing capabilities of the Axe-Fx III and FM3, we can not only change the settings of the existing models, but we can also replicate other effects that have not been modeled. As @iaresee noted, there used to be a mother-of-all-effects emulation thread for the Axe-Fx II that people would post block SysEx files to along with descriptions. Let’s resurrect that for the III and FM3.

Thread rules:
  • Don’t post presets, screenshots, or anything that is not a block. There are other places for sharing those.
  • Unless absolutely necessary, please post single channel blocks.
  • Please post a brief description of how you matched the effect. See below for an example.
I’ll start with two of my blocks, which replicate the clean boost and distortion modes of the Analogman King of Tone.

The Fractal model of the Analogman King of Tone is a model of the King of Tone’s overdrive mode. The King of Tone has two other modes, clean boost and distortion, which are not modeled.

Using the advanced settings, I was able to replicate the other two modes. The King of Tone uses clipping diodes in an opamp feedback loop to create distortion, with each mode consisting of a different selection of clipping diodes. All three modes are symmetrical, i.e. use the same diode/number of diodes for the positive and negative side of the wave.

Here are the diodes for each mode:
  • Overdrive: Two S1588 diodes
  • Distortion: One MA856 diode
  • Boost: No diodes
We do not have the MA856 diode that Analogman uses for the KOT’s distortion mode. However, we do have the 1N914, which has essentially the same clipping properties as the MA856 (Vf ≈ .68). Selecting one 1N914 for both the positive and negative diode will replicates you the KOT distortion mode.

For boost mode, we need an arrangement that produces no diode clipping. Although there is not a "no diode" option, there is a Blue LED option. Blue LEDs have a very high headroom (Vf ≈ 3.2), and require a very hot signal in order to start clipping. We can raise the headroom even higher by placing additional blue LEDs in series with the first one. One blue LED has a Vf of approximately 3.2 volts; increasing that to four blue LEDs will result in a Vf of approximately 12.8 volts, which is so high that it will not clip at all. This gives us our clean boost mode.

Attachments

• KOT Distortion_20210802_094304.blk
    551 bytes · Views: 61
  • KOT Clean Boost_20210802_093117.blk
    552 bytes · Views: 52
Last edited:
I will be checking this often! Thanks!

Any chance the AxeChange site could also host a blocks section for the III and FM3?

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/fractal.html
For those who have not yet discovered the TRUE OG FX block offerings from one of the most adept users around..then buy him a bevvy (via Paypal) after you screw your head back on.

How do you import these into the FM3?
I copied as described but got this error:
\Fractal Audio\FM3-Edit\blocks\Delay\2290 Chorus Sim_20150601_145616.blk: The block's device Id did not match the connected device's Id.

How do you import these into the FM3?
I copied as described but got this error:
\Fractal Audio\FM3-Edit\blocks\Delay\2290 Chorus Sim_20150601_145616.blk: The block's device Id did not match the connected device's Id.
You're trying to import FX3 blocks into the FM3.

You're trying to import FX3 blocks into the FM3.
Apologies, I saw the link above in an FM3 sub forum and I didn't know it wouldn't work.
I am still really new to the fractal, I saw someone posted that site and just went with it figuring if it is a link in the FM3 section it would work.

Apologies, I saw the link above in an FM3 sub forum and I didn't know it wouldn't work.
I am still really new to the fractal, I saw someone posted that site and just went with it figuring if it is a link in the FM3 section it would work.
No need to apologize.

It's possible to move blocks between device types if they're on the same firmware; I export the preset from either the FM3 or FX3 and then import it on the other device, then save the blocks again. We can also do a backup of the presets, then import that backup, either using Fractal-Bot or the Preset Manager.

No need to apologize.

It's possible to move blocks between device types if they're on the same firmware; I export the preset from either the FM3 or FX3 and then import it on the other device, then save the blocks again. We can also do a backup of the presets, then import that backup, either using Fractal-Bot or the Preset Manager.

I will try to find a video or description on how to do that

Back
Top Bottom