The John Nathan Cordy Appreciation Thread

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
For many of you folks who have tuned into the G66 YouTube channel that features various high-profile guitarists, this thread is one of appreciation for the relentless hours of filming that John N Cordy has put in towards forwarding guitar gear, amps, effects, and modeling. And selectively, this thread is designed to help others develop a more finely tuned ear for amps and amp modeling. In the past several years, John has been one of my favorite YouTube guitarists, especially for his fluid legato style of phrasing with incredible note-choice, intertwined with wonderful harmonic chord-melody.

My hope for this thread is to deep dive into some of JNC's best work, and extract some of the juiciest, tastiest examples of amp modeling for FM 3 / FM9 devices. It is also for my own quick reference to high-quality examples of what the FM3 / FM9 offers, with JNC's careful hands at the helm.

While some have previously purchased JNC's gum road folder of presets for a very small cost, my hope is to showcase the G66 videos as JNC builds each preset. These will not likely be chronological nor in any certain order. What these will be are a collection of videos catering to higher-end amps, or those that have earned a place among Fractal's amp library that "go well with" single-coils, humbuckers, or lipstick style pickups.

DISCLAIMER: My interest in JNC's work is purely based on respect for an incredible guitarist. I am not a paid solicitor nor compensated in any way or form for what JNC owns. Because JNC likely receives compensation for high volume views, it is only with feelings of well-proffered praise and thankfulness for his hard work that JNC should receive the benefit of any and all appreciation.

In the Beginning:

The Sleepy JTM45

Last edited:
For many of you folks who have tuned into the G66 YouTube channel that features various high-profile guitarists, this thread is one of appreciation for the relentless hours of filming that John N Cordy has put in towards forwarding guitar gear, amps, effects, and modeling. And selectively, this thread is designed to help others develop a more finely tuned ear for amps and amp modeling. In the past several years, John has been one of my favorite YouTube guitarists, especially for his fluid legato style of phrasing with incredible note-choice, intertwined with wonderful harmonic chord-melody.

My hope for this thread is to deep dive into some of JNC's best work, and extract some of the juiciest, tastiest examples of amp modeling for FM 3 / FM9 devices.

While some have previously purchased JNC's gum road folder of presets for a very small cost, my hope is to showcase the G66 videos as JNC builds each preset. These will not likely be chronological nor in any certain order. What these will be are a collection of videos catering to higher-end amps, or those that have earned a place among Fractal's amp library that "go well with" single-coils, humbuckers, or lipstick style pickups.

DISCLAIMER: My interest in JNC's work is purely based on respect for an incredible guitarist. I am not a paid solicitor nor compensated in any way or form for what JNC owns. Because JNC likely receives compensation for high volume views, it is only with feelings of well-proffered praise and thankfulness for his hard work that JNC should receive the benefit of any and all appreciation.

In the Beginning:

The Sleepy JTM45

About that video, I wrote this elsewhere:

I bought his tone pack today because it was easier to toss him $6 to get the settings for all his blocks than to try and copy things off the video.

His Mid Gain and Mid Gain Bright settings are delicious with a Telecaster and a Stratocaster. I also like his Timmy and OD250 drive block settings.

I put the bright switch on/off on a control switch. I liked mid gain with it on, but found it too much with the drive pedals so would like to be able to turn it off when I do higher gain tones.

I found his Dyancomp level too hot for my tastes when it comes to "mid" gain. But it worked well, stacked with the OD250, to make a higher gain, long sustain sounds.

And while I do have a soft spot for that old TV Mix IR, I find it really boomy now. So I dialed in a TV DyanCab that's close in the low end and high end, but not nearly as boomy as the old IR.

1717556088789.png

Worked it all into a new core preset and will gig it this week.

Outstanding.

The crazy part? He didn't move the controls that much on the AMP block. But what he moved, he moved to the exact right positions. Just great ears.

On the 2nd Day

'65 Bassguy / Dweezil's Bassguy

I hadn't seen this video.

It's making that $6 for his presets an even better investment.

Thanks for your response. Cordy just has really great ears and dials in his presets almost effortlessly. Not to mention some of his quality guitars are cutting edge as well as traditional...

On the 3rd Day

Why is RF's Dumble Tone So Hard to Replicate?

On the 5th Day

There was EVH. Hot Summer Nights. 5150. Best of Both Worlds.

Yet, the 5153 is Not Just for Metal

About that video, I wrote this elsewhere:

I bought his tone pack today because it was easier to toss him $6 to get the settings for all his blocks than to try and copy things off the video.

His Mid Gain and Mid Gain Bright settings are delicious with a Telecaster and a Stratocaster. I also like his Timmy and OD250 drive block settings.

I put the bright switch on/off on a control switch. I liked mid gain with it on, but found it too much with the drive pedals so would like to be able to turn it off when I do higher gain tones.

I found his Dyancomp level too hot for my tastes when it comes to "mid" gain. But it worked well, stacked with the OD250, to make a higher gain, long sustain sounds.

And while I do have a soft spot for that old TV Mix IR, I find it really boomy now. So I dialed in a TV DyanCab that's close in the low end and high end, but not nearly as boomy as the old IR.

View attachment 141205

Worked it all into a new core preset and will gig it this week.

Outstanding.

The crazy part? He didn't move the controls that much on the AMP block. But what he moved, he moved to the exact right positions. Just great ears.

I hadn't seen this video.

It's making that $6 for his presets an even better investment.
Yup. 6 British Pounds for over 120 presets is really a good deal...the only concern is trying to pare them together so as to fit onto one scene screen with 4 basic scenes. Even for folks who are cash-strapped who prefer to learn by doing, my hope is that this thread will serve as a compilation work where the top choice picks of JNC's work are available. (Yeah, I actually enjoy pausing YT screenplay in order to capture all the parameters onto a word document, then advancing the screen as additional info is offered.). Although I've downloaded the gum roads folder, I've not quite yet been able to connect what .syx file is connected to what YT video...that may take time...)

So much has been said already. Amazing Value. His amps and drives are dialed-in great, but I've also been impressed with his tasteful, usable settings for effects, such as delays and reverbs.

Great phrasing, Tone & Feel
JNC's chord choice while modulating around a 12 or 16 bar song is what fascinates me. It's his style of legato playing that is my long term goal someday.
So much has been said already. Amazing Value. His amps and drives are dialed-in great, but I've also been impressed with his tasteful, usable settings for effects, such as delays and reverbs.
Every time JNC sits down in front of his FM3 and applies only several brief techniques his prior training taught him, it's easy to realize why using your ears brings about better results that your eyes. It's been noted that JNC likes to emphasize the importance of the amp settings and use only minimal effects for a pure sound. I especially like the way JNC keeps his reverb and delay mix levels low though the effect itself may be ambient or atmospheric.

Thanks! Somehow I had never seen any of his vids.
There are actually 2 separate affiliations for JNC. First is the G66 YT channel. 2nd, is JNC's channel (Search: John Nathan Cordy in YT). His personal channel allows more freedom of speech regards the content he provides. While JNC's G66 contributions are typically geared toward the FM3, his personal channel includes greater insight regards outboard gear as one might expect. JNC is a regular YT contributor; you don't need wait long to view new content from him...

There are actually 2 separate affiliations for JNC. First is the G66 YT channel. 2nd, is JNC's channel (Search: John Nathan Cordy in YT). His personal channel allows more freedom of speech regards the content he provides. While JNC's G66 contributions are typically geared toward the FM3, his personal channel includes greater insight regards outboard gear as one might expect. JNC is a regular YT contributor; you don't need wait long to view new content from him...

Thanks! Downloaded his presets earlier today; really liked the Dumble video.

Back
Top Bottom