The Black Album

The Ultra arrives tomorrow, and I was thinking about various patches I would work on. One I definitely wanted to take a crack at was "The Black Album."

So, has anyone taken a shot at that sound yet, rhythms or lead? Would be nice to have a starting point if someone already has a work in progress.

This Black album ?

album-Spinal-Tap-This-Is-Spinal-Tap.jpg

:lol:

Pretty sure it would involve the USA Lead 2 model - prolly the closest in the AF to the Mark IIc+ lead channel, I imagine, which was the primary amp for rhythm on that album (for James, not Nigel) :lol:

Remember that James also did 5 rhythm tracks. In my opinion, the black album is the best sounding CD ever made. Happens to be my favorite album of all time as well!

juliancs said:
Remember that James also did 5 rhythm tracks. In my opinion, the black album is the best sounding CD ever made. Happens to be my favorite album of all time as well!

According to James on the documentary, there was 3 tracks of rhythm. I know there was 6 tracks of it on MOP.

I thought I remembered reading about them doing additional guitar tracks an octave down on the Black Album (Note: this was on the internet, so it must be true. ;) ). I wonder if using the Axe's pitch shifter could be employed here into a second drive block mixed with the original...

SeasonOfPain said:
I thought I remembered reading about them doing additional guitar tracks an octave down on the Black Album (Note: this was on the internet, so it must be true. ;) ). I wonder if using the Axe's pitch shifter could be employed here into a second drive block mixed with the original...

Haha, love that intarwebz! :cool: They did layer some tracks on "Sad But True" that included a Danelectro if I recall right, but for the most part, it was 3 tracks - 2 on the sides and one up the gut with more mids as a "thickener."

DISCLAIMER: This next statement can not be verified, take it for what it's worth. - In regards to those, a guy I know previously had a conversation with one of the old techs from the tour, who spoke with Stuab...and it was said that the tracks on the outside were more scooped Mark IIC+ tracks with an ADA MP-1 up the gut with more mids as a "thickener." This was supposedly a sound carried over into the "Live Shit: Binge and Purge" set on the tour, where James supposedly used a IIC+ and MP-1 both slaved into his Strategy 400 Power Amps for his dirty sounds and a Mesa Studio Preamp and Roland JC-120 combined for his cleans.

Back
Top Bottom