"That's a headline, Herb!" - Producer/Mix Engineer Ken Andrews on Pensado's Place

After watching the interview with Ken, I just listened to 5 of the songs from Paramore's website in headphones. It's very cool how the vocals, kick, and snare are always centered and the guitars - especially when they are full & loud - seem to be panned hard left & right. There's this sense (to me) of a channel in the center where the vocals and the beat live and the guitars don't encroach on that. Even when the guitars are big & loud, they occupy a different space than the vocals & the beat. It's very cool. The bass stays low like a good foundation, although it seems to move around sometimes to me (even though I believe Ken said that he always leaves it center). I really like that mix.

Paramore | Music

Kick, snare and vocals centered and guitars on the sides is probably how all music in general has been done for the past 50 years. (had to go all the way to Jimi and Beatles to find something.. different :D ) Also being the guy who mixes after CLA like in this case it's hard not to do it since CLA never pans anything inbetween but 100% to the sides or middle. It's more about the frequencies like you said. But in the end it's about the music and the new Paramore record sounded great tonewise but the music was very uninteresting to me at least. :)

Kick, snare and vocals centered and guitars on the sides is probably how all music in general has been done for the past 50 years. (had to go all the way to Jimi and Beatles to find something.. different :D )

That goes to show how much attention I pay to mixes. :lol

Kick, snare and vocals centered and guitars on the sides is probably how all music in general has been done for the past 50 years. (had to go all the way to Jimi and Beatles to find something.. different :D )

Early Van Halen? Some serious off center panning on the guitars there.

many many thanks for posting this. been a huge failure fan for years and truly got a kick out of this interview. the fractal bit was the icing of the cake.

Back
Top Bottom