Sync Axe-Fx to Logic 9's tempo

IronMan

Is it possible to let Logic be the master and the Axe-Fx be the slave? I need the Axe to perfectly sync to Logic's tempo but I have no idea how to do that or even where to look at. I have a FireFace 400 with my Axe-Fx hooked-up to MIDI Port 1 (both input and output).

I went to "Project Settings -> Synchronization" and clicked the MIDI tab. I can send the clock data to the MIDI Port 1 but I can't find any setting within the Axe-Fx to sync to a MIDI clock.

Any suggestions where to look at?

Thanks!

I don't use Logic but maybe this could help in some way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzr9Ry5xc8Y

Cool! That's pretty interesting but it doesn't solve my problem unfortunately. I don't want to manually create CC's for tempo, it would be one hell of a job for my current piece :p

In the manual I've found this:
TEMPO - Sets the current System Tempo. Whenever a tempo is entered, whether via this control or by tapping or by MIDI clock, the System and Global Tempos are set to
this value. The Global Tempo is not affected by the tempo stored with a preset when the preset is recalled and remains in effect.

Does this mean that if I make Logic send MIDI clock data, the Axe-Fx will automatically detect so? I tried this but it didn't work unfortunately...

I'd never tried this before reading your original post, but here's how I made it work for me.

First, check your Audio MIDI setup to see how your Axe-Fx is named/referred to. See the first attachment step_00.jpg for how mine is setup – my Axe MIDI configuration is conveniently named 'Axe-Fx'.

Next add an external MIDI track inside Logic (attachment step_01.jpg).

Then select whatever your Axe-Fx is named as from the Library (attachment step_02.jpg).

Next, choose 'Synchronisation' from the Settings menu (attachment step_03.jpg).

Finally set the MIDI send options from the dropdowns in the dialogue box (attachment step_04.jpg).

Worked like a dream for me – varying the tempo in Logic whilst the song is playing varied the tempo on the Axe-Fx instantly. You can verify the tempo change by the flashing light speed.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• step_00.jpg
    step_00.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 129
  • step_01.jpg
    step_01.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 114
  • step_02.jpg
    step_02.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 101
  • step_03.jpg
    step_03.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 101
  • step_04.jpg
    step_04.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 119
Thanks a lot John!! It works perfectly! I had to do it a little different though. There was no need for me add a MIDI device called "Axe-Fx". I'm not sure whether that was mandatory or something convenient. Also there was no need for me to create an "external MIDI track".

Very cool to have everything synced now!

No problem, I'm pleased it helped. I added the external MIDI track purely for convenience – in case one ever needs to send CC changes etc.

does anyone know how to get this working in cubase 5.5!?

cheers
S.

Back
Top Bottom