Sweetwater new 2% charge on promotional financing.

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
I’m not sure how long this has been in effect, but synchrony has now instituted a 2% of purchase price promo fee. How exactly did they communicate this? Yea I know, “you have to read the fine print” and I did not and got hit with a whopping 8 dollar fee. Still, I think any kind of new fee or fine needs to be shouted from the rooftops and agreed upon, not just instituted. I honestly had no idea about this fee. What if I ordered a 4000 dollar guitar and a 3000 dollar amp? I’d be on the hook for a 140 dollar fee I knew nothing about. It existed in italics led from an asterisk as of yesterday. Interestingly I bitched to my sales guy and now it is disclosed more prominently today on their site. I specifically asked him to kick my complaint up the chain there. We had a conversation about it. After years of 0% meaning 0%, no one is going to continuously read the terms every time they put something in checkout. If something changes in terms, it needs to be better than an asterisk note at the bottom of the page. The consumer SHOULD matter and both Sweetwater and Synchrony should be legally made to bend over backwards to make sure we are informed.

I wonder how this is done in Europe? I feel like they have far better consumer protections than we do in the states. I feel like we are at the mercy of banks no matter how hard we try and stay away from them. The only reason I have synchrony cards at all is not because I cant afford what I’m buying, but to take advantage of interest (and what was FEE) free financing. Why tie up my on 10k when I can use theirs for free? now it isnt free and I feel swindled. It isnt the 8 bucks, it is how they can simply change terms without an acknowledgment from the cardholder. If I knew, I’d have paid cash and got the 5% credit back.

At any rate, I’m retired with little better to do but initiate a BBB complaint and will be initiating a federal comptroller of currency complaint later on today. Probably wont get anywhere but I just aim to cost them more than the 8 bucks I had to pay. 2 wrongs may not make a right, but sometimes it makes shit even.

I have seen this as well but avoided it by no using it. Zzounds has a service charge for no interest payments. I have wondered how paying interest would compare to the service charge. Even Sweetwater has a service charge for three pay plus I have never gotten a discount when using three pay. In the end there is no such thing as no interest. They always have a way to recoup what they loose. It comes down to where you want to pay that extra, interest over time, service charge, no discount? Etc. point is they always get their money and the card companies always have a way to sneak in more charges somewhere.

I have seen this as well but avoided it by no using it. Zzounds has a service charge for no interest payments. I have wondered how paying interest would compare to the service charge. Even Sweetwater has a service charge for three pay plus I have never gotten a discount when using three pay. In the end there is no such thing as no interest. They always have a way to recoup what they loose. It comes down to where you want to pay that extra, interest over time, service charge, no discount? Etc. point is they always get their money and the card companies always have a way to sneak in more charges somewhere.
The sneaking in part is what I think should be criminal. If terms change, you should have to agree to the new terms before using the credit.

Didn’t know about that. I never use their promotional stuff, but would expect my salesman to let me know about the surcharge. Yeah, it’s in the fine print, but it’s a surcharge and it’s honest to be up front about something like that. Just my opinion, but it’s the only one that matters when I’m buying.

Back
Top Bottom