Swapping direct monitor from AxeIII to Audio Interface - Will I get latency?

MackieFX

Experienced
I'm adding an audio interface to my recording set up in order to accommodate having both computer and AxeIII sound coming from my monitors.

This means I need to run:

AxeIII ---> Interface ----> Speakers

instead of

AxeIII ----> Speakers

Will this cause latency? The audio interface has a direct monitoring button too. Its a scarlett solo.

I have the solo, when I do this the latency is there, but it's not that bad. Mine is a like first generation or something though, bought the thing almost a decade ago at this point. It is very very minor compared to doing something like going into your DAW and trying to play a plugin like amplitube there instead of running ampitube itself.

I still want to get a far superior audio interface at some point but the solo is totally doable in that situation. On mine I'm probably getting 5ms latency or something like that.

Shouldn't do. I run my afx to an 18i20 and get no latency at all.

I do go spdif but shouldn't make a difference going normal audio.

Shouldn't do. I run my afx to an 18i20 and get no latency at all.

I do go spdif but shouldn't make a difference going normal audio.
Same with spdif for me, but most audio interfaces have 0 latency monitoring anyway.
You'll experience the same latency or slightly higher latency analog to analog monitoring inside your DAW whether it's straight Axe or Axe into interface depending on the DAW buffer settings.

I experience zero perceivable latency going axe3>spdif Focusrite clarett 8preX>direct monitor. I also don't experience latency using an xlr with the same setup

I experience zero perceivable latency going axe3>spdif Focusrite clarett 8preX>direct monitor. I also don't experience latency using an xlr with the same setup
Clarett could have an extra buffer on spdif. Apollo doesn't, but there's no special advantage to spdif unless you've run out of inputs like I have on my Apollo.

I'm adding an audio interface to my recording set up in order to accommodate having both computer and AxeIII sound coming from my monitors. This means I need to run:
The AxeFX has the ability to act as an audio interface and pass computer audio through to your speakers, as well as the AxeFX output at the same time. There is no need for an audio interface to accomplish what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom