Successful First FM9 Gig

22 frets

Experienced
Our band played its first gig last night since just prior to the COVID lockdowns. For various reasons like illness and personnel turnover, it has taken us until now to put a product together we felt was acceptable. I have a 1st gen FM9 and I have been very pleased with it up to now, but I was interested to see how it did in a live gig situation.

I am happy to say that the unit worked flawlessly. This was a fundraiser for the Alzheimer’s Association at a local brewery. It was advertised well and fairly well attended. I used the Setlist/Songs feature to quickly move from song to song on our Setlist and almost instantly be ready with the appropriate scene from whatever preset I desired for that song. It was so nice to not be the one everybody else in the band was waiting on to get my preset selected, then jump to a scene and then even have to jump to a particular effect to be ready to start the song. All of that memorization regarding song order, preset, scene and effect is nearly instantly at hand….. err, at foot. It helped me stay focused on the music and our presentation. There were times when I was immediately able to help a band mate who had gotten the song list out of order. I still wish there was an easy way to look down at the unit and immediately see which Song is currently selected, but I have requested that before and I am sure if enough people request this and fractal is able to accommodate it, they will.

Everything else about the unit performed great. So put me in the “satisfied” column.

BTW, I use the FM9 as a preamp/effects pedal board going into the effects return on a Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 into a Mesa Boogie 1x12 cabinet on stage for my back line and the miced cabinet going into the mixer feeding the front of house PA. I get lots of compliments on my tone and variety of sound/effects even though I am mainly the rhythm player for our band.

Thank you Fractal for such a well designed and thoughtfully engineered product. Keep up the good work guys!

Last edited:
I also just had my first gig with the FM9 and had a pretty positive experience.
I spent the day before at rehearsal re-eq'ing my presets at volume which was definately needed.
At the gig, I found my scene levels were pretty good, may need to tweak a little bit more. But my gates weren't quite right (cutting some sustain leads, but not clamping down enough on some feedback so need to look at that and some further eq tweaks

Back
Top Bottom