Stupid Question RE: Midi hookups

I am connecting the AxeFx to my Mac via the MIDI in/out on my RME Fireface 800. This is working great for the Editor. Now I am trying to figure out how to also hook up my MIDI footcontroller at the same time.?? I am somewhat of a Midiot I guess, but I can't figure out how to get the two MIDI outputs (one from the RME and one from my controller) into the AF at the same time, since there is only one MIDI in on the AF. Do I have to have a separate MIDI interface for that?

Thanks,
Rick

If your floor controller has midi through, then you can connect them like this:

MIDI interface out->MIDI pedalboard IN
MIDI pedalboard out->Axe-Fx MIDI in

When you want to switch to editor, switch:
MIDI pedalboard out plug to MIDI pedalboard MIDI thru.

Or, you can use one of those midi merge boxes, like: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

Either way, DEFINITELY don't mess with your floor controller while you are updating firmware or patches.

I just bought a used UM-880 and it works very well. (Thank you Godprobe I should have listened!). That may be too much I/O for your needs.

I don't have to connect and disconnect anything. I have a FF800 and that midi works solid. I had a MidiSport which was constant problems for me, so I sold it. I also have a little Yamaha UX16 which works, but if you dont have a midi patch unit, you need to move cables, and sometimes the drivers get finicky when you plug to new gear (needing a reboot to fix).

The nice thing about the UM880 (or 550), is that is has front and rear connections for both MIDI and USB, so if you rack mount, its easy and flexible to use. Its also very easy to patch or create merged patches once you figure out the Roland instructions. These sell on ebay from $125 to $200 generally. There are 2 on ebay right now.

There is also a list of working and not working midi interfaces on the board here.

Good luck

R

rmbaylin said:
I just bought a used UM-880 and it works very well. (Thank you Godprobe I should have listened!).
Finally! :lol: Glad it's working out for you! Another thing I particularly like about it is that it doesn't rely on a computer to use it (though that doesn't really help with firmware/patch/IR loading).

For the OP, if your MIDI controller has a MIDI Thru jack that is able to *also* pass the messages the controller generates, you might be able to get away with not buying anything more than a third MIDI cable.

Axe-Fx MIDI Out > FF800 MIDI In
FF800 MIDI Out > Controller MIDI In
Controller MIDI Thru > Axe-Fx MIDI In

I haven't messed with MIDI Thru connections much though, and I know some devices end up blocking messages that are important to other devices, so really your best bet is to go with a device that can merge MIDI.

Myself... I just swap cables.

Back
Top Bottom