Studio Monitors for AxePC and General Listening

G.9

Due to my present circumstances I'm probably going to wait for the AxePC to come out. In the meantime, however, I need to find some suitable studio monitors to match them with.

So far I've turned up with KRK. I'm wondering how much of a quality jump there will be going from a $300 RP5 pair to a $600 VXT4 pair. Volume is not an issue for me, as I won't be pumping it out.

I should also mention that these will be my primary speakers for just listening to music/movies as well.

Thank you.

In general, the difference in quality between monitors A and B will be X.

Not trying to be snarky-- you just need to listen side by side.

it's usually not "A is better than B" or whatever, it's usually "A is different from B." so yeah, you kinda have to hear them and see what you prefer.

I'm not a fan of small 4" woofers.
I like 8" ones... and that doesn't mean it has to be expensive.
I use Event 20/20 (discontinued)

;)

I use KRK Rokit 6 monitors. They're all I need in the home studio. The Axe sounds amazing and general music sounds sweet as well. No sub needed as there is plenty of low-end response out of these. I listened to several 4 and 5" monitors before buying and I think they probably could have used a sub. The 6" didn't so I got them to save money.

InsideOut said:
I use KRK Rokit 6 monitors. They're all I need in the home studio. The Axe sounds amazing and general music sounds sweet as well. No sub needed as there is plenty of low-end response out of these. I listened to several 4 and 5" monitors before buying and I think they probably could have used a sub. The 6" didn't so I got them to save money.
Yeah... I'd rather have just those speakers as well. Thing is, my room is pretty small... 14x14?

G.9 said:
InsideOut said:
Yeah... I'd rather have just those speakers as well. Thing is, my room is pretty small... 14x14?

:lol: My studio isn't even that big, so all the more reason for no sub. The cool thing about monitors like these is they are near field (no interference from PC/monitor etc). Spaced properly and at the right distance from the listener, it doesn't take much to be totally engulfed in sweet tuneage :cool:

InsideOut said:
G.9 said:
InsideOut said:

:lol: My studio isn't even that big, so all the more reason for no sub. The cool thing about monitors like these is they are near field (no interference from PC/monitor etc). Spaced properly and at the right distance from the listener, it doesn't take much to be totally engulfed in sweet tuneage :cool:
Alright, well I'll look into it.

How are they for general listening? People have said monitors are brutally honest and not necessarily the best for listening to, as opposed to producing/playing, music.

I was worried about the exact same thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how great music sounds. It's like listening to great headphones without the headphones :) My opinion of course ;)

G.9 said:
How are they for general listening? People have said monitors are brutally honest and not necessarily the best for listening to, as opposed to producing/playing, music.

Don't worry you can always mess up it's honesty...
Just boost some lows and high and it will sound like every other home stereo.

:D

InsideOut said:
Are these the monitors you're referring to? I might get a pair myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:uk

Stringtheorist said:
InsideOut said:
Are these the monitors you're referring to? I might get a pair myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:uk

Yep, those are the ones. Great monitors for a small room :cool:

Back
Top Bottom