Studio Monitors as FRFR Stage Monitors?

Tone Seeker

Power User
Why not?? Why not use studio monitors as FRFR stage monitors? Please talk me out of, or into, this approach.

Yes, I realize that they are not really rugged enough for this role. However, perhaps in the right "packing" enough of that issue could be mitigated. I'm thinking of some kind of enclosure where they could be surrounded with foam, and either mounted (or swiveled) at an angle appropriate for floor monitoring on stage.

Some background. I was down at my local pro sound reinforcement shop asking about bringing in a Verve solution. I'm in Canada and they are a special order item up here, so warranty, etc. is a concern. The owner was showing me some of the QSC solutions, including the new K series, and I reiterated how important it was that my FRFR monitor be as flat as possible, "like my studio monitors". He turned and said "you're unique" (at least from a live sound reinforcement perspective). Most people want the "high's to sizzle" or the "mids to have punch". He said "why don't you just pickup an inexpensive pair of studio monitors, like a set of Behringers, and put them in a case with a mechanism to to tilt them up".

I've thought a bit about this. Behringers might, or might not, be the best fit. However, I could spend a bit more and pick up another set of Dynaudio BM5A's for live use. They would match what I have at home. They are light (20lbs or so each) and small. The put out 115dbA each. A pair would cost ~20% more than a single QSC K-10 and I would be stereo capable. They may not have a lot of "throw" (near fields), but my ears will only be about 6 feet away. Obviously, providing physical protection and shock absorption is important.

I play in a relatively safe environment (church), for groups of 150 - 400 where stage levels are typically 92 - 96dbA. I always go through the FOH.

Thoughts?

Terry.

I imagine that the absence of ruggedness, transportability, etc. would make this pretty unappealing to a lot of players.

Also, you often have connections & heat sinks on the back, which you have to consider if using the monitors while in a protective case of some kind. And monitors with any bottom end will sound very boomy/muddy unless raised off the floor.

I can relate to the interest, though. I did an experiment this weekend past: I took my Axe-FX and hooked it into my "hi-fi" system. I'll save the details, but suffice to say I have a pair of very good sounding speakers that are both detailed and musical, and very full-range. I've measured these speakers in a couple of different, larger rooms, so they're a known commodity for me. I also took my Rivera 212 and set it up in the same space, as a point of reference (don't use that amp much anymore).

(I also have a QSC HPR-122i, have had it for a couple of years, got it to use with the Axe. But it's not in the same place.)

Hearing the Axe-FX thru my "hi -fi" nailed it for me. The clarity, smoothness, dynamics, openness and resolution of fine detail was just gorgeous to hear. (Don't know why I never bothered to do this before - just lazy.) The traditional guitar amp sounded extremely "boxy" - I'm referring here to the general sound & radiation characteristcs of the traditional guitar cab + speakers, otherwise ignoring how the amp sounded compared to the Axe.

My conclusion - The Axe is just too good to settle for "good enough".

Completely useless info for guys who need a tool to play out with, I realize. But it confirmed for me, hands down, we need solutions that are better than mass-market PA monitors that are too colored in their response.

If you can deal with a passive monitor, here's a "crossover" option (excuse the pun) that I think might be pretty good (but haven't heard it for this use), from Tannoy, which are available in Canada. Comes in both 8" and 12" versions.

http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialDetail ... 275&sid=64

Or you could get an ADAM S6A . . . :twisted:

I think you'd find yourself blowing a lot of tweeters and/or woofers ... I doubt a studio monitor would handle the kind of volume that happens sometimes.

Regarding the Behringers, I have a pair of 2031s in my rehearsal/studio ... they sound very, very close to the K12 anyway, so I'm not sure how much you'd gain by going that route.

Maybe the Meyer Sound X-10 monitors, they can push 136 db, 22hz-17khz +-2db. 1200 watts for the woofer, 620 for the compression driver.

These are good cautions, some of which I had not considered (e.g. studio monitors being potentially boomy if on the floor). Thanks.

Brian G said:
Hearing the Axe-FX thru my "hi -fi" nailed it for me. The clarity, smoothness, dynamics, openness and resolution of fine detail was just gorgeous to hear. (Don't know why I never bothered to do this before - just lazy.) The traditional guitar amp sounded extremely "boxy" - I'm referring here to the general sound & radiation characteristcs of the traditional guitar cab + speakers, otherwise ignoring how the amp sounded compared to the Axe.

My conclusion - The Axe is just too good to settle for "good enough".

Completely useless info for guys who need a tool to play out with, I realize. But it confirmed for me, hands down, we need solutions that are better than mass-market PA monitors that are too colored in their response.

If you can deal with a passive monitor, here's a "crossover" option (excuse the pun) that I think might be pretty good (but haven't heard it for this use), from Tannoy, which are available in Canada. Comes in both 8" and 12" versions.

http://www.tannoy.com/ResidentialDetail ... 275&sid=64
The Tannoy hi-fi approach actually looks quite interesting, and I've thought about it. I'm trying to keep weight and bulk down so the 8" version (DC8i) would fit best from that perspective. They could be paired with an ART SLA-2 (200W) and the combo should sound really nice. Based on specs alone, the combination might not have enough volume / headroom for some on the forum. For me they probably would.

I actually have a very old set of Tannoy 12" dual concentric drivers (30+ years) in large cabinets. I put them away when I developed Tinnitus 13 or 14 years ago and then more recently, I went with the near fields. It's probably time to pull them out again. I imagine they need to be re-coned.

rp911 said:
Regarding the Behringers, I have a pair of 2031s in my rehearsal/studio ... they sound very, very close to the K12 anyway, so I'm not sure how much you'd gain by going that route.
An excellent point, and something encouraging for me to hear. I mentioned size / weight considerations, and a K10 seems like an excellent solution for me. To be honest, this is probably the "go-to" option at the moment.

Another factor for me is the possibility of in-ear monitors. They are being actively considered for the venue I most play at. Investing some dollars into really good ear-buds might be where I end up. Until I know for sure what will happen, I might give my studio monitors a try. If so, I will bring my current solution (Acoustic Image Coda) "just in case". The Coda is somewhat coloured, which is why I'm looking for a different solution. I really don't want to go back to using it.

Thanks all.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom