Studio Monitors and Karen Neighbors

I’m sure I’m not the only one on here who treats themselves to high fidelity audio when they aren’t busy tweaking their FM3..

I just got a new phono for my SL-1200MK2 and decided to run it through its paces.

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but Darlington Labs makes an absolute home-run of a phono for what they are asking for…

Anyway, my listening setup consists of a couple of technics turntables running through a krk 12” sub and some Kali LP 6’s. Not glamorous or “hifi” but it does right by me.

Ran through a few records (and beers admittedly) at what I considered reasonable volume.. Well I come home from work today to a final notice from the HOA citing “live drums and guitars”. I figured the neighbor would enjoy some Pink Floyd, but I guess my assumption was wrong.

My point to all this is, aren’t studio monitors supposed only be worth a damn for near-field? Seems like my neighbors got an earful. I am fully aware that decibels are decibels regardless of the source, but I can obviously fill my living room with sound with the LP6's, and allegedly my neighbors living room too.

Last edited:
I’m sure I’m not the only one on here who treats themselves to high fidelity audio when they aren’t busy tweaking their FM3..

I just got a new phono for my SL-1200MK2 and decided to run it through its paces.

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company but Darlington Labs makes an absolute home-run of a phono for what they are asking for…

Anyway, my listening setup consists of a couple of technics turntables running through a krk 12” sub and some Kali LP 6’s. Not glamorous or “hifi” but it does right by me.

Ran through a few records (and beers admittedly) at what I considered reasonable volume.. Well I come home from work today to a final notice from the HOA citing “live drums and guitars”. I figured the neighbor would enjoy some Pink Floyd, but I guess my assumption was wrong.

My point to all this is, aren’t studio monitors supposed only be worth a damn for near-field? Seems like my neighbors got an earful. I am fully aware that decibels are decibels regardless of the source, but I can obviously fill my living room with sound with the LP6's, and allegedly my neighbors living room too.
It's time to go out with a bang!

I keep finding great use for this particular GIF on here.

Rock Guitar GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Our band used to rehearse at my house. Nothing real loud, all windows and doors are closed, and everything's well below the city's noise ordinance levels. After a period with a lot of rehearsals as we of working in a new band member, the Karen neighbor on one side of our house was obviously not happy about hearing music when she stood in her front yard. She told the Cool neighbor on the other side of my house "Well...apparently we have a BAND in the neighborhood." Cool neighbor said "I know? Isn't it great!" 🤣 We only stopped rehearsing at my house after my wife and I got a new dog that's scared of drums.

If I had to deal with an HOA things would get bad quick.

You never, EVER, buy a home with an HOA. Just move.

It is exactly for this type of thing that causes “HOA” to be a deal killer for me looking at any property. You’ve got to know that, if they can tell you what can be planted in your yard or the color of your paint, they’re going to be in your business and invading the space you’re paying for… and always to the pickiest common denominator. If you live in one, you’ve got to expect the Karen level to be very, very high. That’s why they bought a house in an HOA development, after all.

You’ve either got to comply or move, they’ve got you by the agreements you made with them. Even if your perception of that agreement differs, or their rules change. Such is life in a Hitler Official Area.

Last edited:

At least they didn't throw a brick through your window so they could hear it better!

It is exactly for this type of thing that causes “HOA” to be a deal killer for me looking at any property. You’ve got to know that, if they can tell you what can be planted in your yard or the color of your paint, they’re going to be in your business and invading the space you’re paying for… and always to the pickiest common denominator. If you live in one, you’ve got to expect the Karen level to be very, very high. That’s why they bought a house in an HOA development, after all.

You’ve either got to comply or move, they’ve got you by the agreements you made with them. Even if your perception of that agreement differs, or their rules change. Such is life in a Hitler Official Area.
I actually do plan to move within the next couple of months so I'm not too concerned about it.

Back
Top Bottom