Studio monitor recommendations for home usage

Home only? I like Prosonus scepters

If you need something for home and also gigs, the atomic clr is great as it sounds amazing at low late night levels yet can get loud enough for bigger stages too

I like the atomics also, super clear and flat. I'm leaning more towards the xitone mbritt though for live use. I'm actually selling my atomics in the classified section.

Tons of great biamp monitors. I saw JBL 305’s for $99 each recently

I’d go with a 5 or 6” as in my experience 8”’s can be a bit overpowered in the typical sized bedroom, especially if you can’t have them away from the wall.

I have three pairs of monitors. Presonus Eris E8, 8 inch cheap speakers; Dynaudio BM5 Mk3, 6.5 inch rather inexpensive speakers which one might actually call "monitors", and Quested V3110, rather expensive 3 way 10 inch midfield monitors some people might even use for mastering.

The Dynaudio monitors definitely sound totally awesome for mixing - I can hear every detail, but for playing I choose the Presonus ones any time, it's a no brainer. In my experience, nothing with less than an 8 inch woofer works well. That is, you can tweak presets, do all kinds of stuff, but playing isn't nearly as much fun with smaller ones.

So my advice is - if you're buying monitors just for playing, go for 8 inch ones, doesn't really matter that much which brand. If you plan to do some mixing - well, that's a totally different story.

I had the JBL305 which sounded good with the AX8 but then I sold them and wanted to hear what the difference in sound with an 8 inch monitor. Bought a pair Presonus Eris E8 monitors and the difference was night and day. They are big but they sound great for the price through the AX8.

Just realize that 8” are going to be rather inaccurate unless you treat your room, and even then it’s going to be a bit much for the typical bedroom.

I have Presonus Scepter s6’s, the coaxial ones, and they have a massive low end in my semi treated room.

If your not treating your room, I wouldn’t spend too much on higher end monitors as the room acoustics are going to be the limiting factor.

In all honesty I much prefer my CLR, even at low volume, over my nearfields though. Better dispersion, though the near fields do sound great sitting at desk. Not always how I like to play guitar though.

Very happy with my Yamaha HS8 monitors.
Go online authorized dealer and get rebate.
I have the sub also, but not needed probably.

Just realize that 8” are going to be rather inaccurate unless you treat your room, and even then it’s going to be a bit much for the typical bedroom.

Accuracy doesn’t matter all that much while playing, not mixing. Also, room reflections don’t depend on monitor size at all. I don’t even know where this idea comes from. They depend on frequencies.

And when we get to frequencies, physics dictates that you MUST have a large speaker for low end. You can extend frequency range down by using ported cabinets (and most, if not all, monitors have that) but that comes at a price as it increases excursion and thus distortion. So, other things being equal, if you see two speakers with different woofer sizes and about the same frequency range the smaller one will simply sound worse.

Unless you play some easy acoustic stuff, you need the low end. If you play along some backing tracks with bass and drums, you really need low end.

Of course, there are bad speakers, good speakers and great speakers. Size isn’t everything. There will be smaller speakers with better low end than some bigger ones. But you need size nevertheless. It’s just a freaking law of nature. The less you depend on bass reflex ports or electronics, the more accurate low end you’ll get. 8” is better than 6”. 12” better than 8”. For a near field monitor and normal rock music or metal, you MUST have some low end. And that means 7 or better yet, 8 inches. 6 in some cases, depending on monitor.

Now, if you do real mixing work, it gets much more complicated. Because in mixing, you may want to sacrifice low end somewhat and care for midrange much more. There, with two way speakers, large woofers may not be beneficial, there’s also a whole big story about crossovers, Class D vs Class AB amps and so on and so on. But that’s mixing, not playing.

Now, about that “big speakers bad for small rooms” thing. Sorry, but that’s complete and utter bullshit. Speaker size has nothing to do with room acoustics, these things are independent. Whoever created this stupid urban myth deserves to burn in hell, and it’s astounding that so many people keep repeating it. What actually happens here is that small rooms are problematic for low end as it builds up pretty fast and you can’t always move away from places where it gets overwhelming. But. Think about it, how do small speakers help here? They don’t!!! They just produce less low end, that’s it. So your ears get more room reflection and less speaker. This means worse, less accurate “blanket covered” sound. If those small speakers have extended low end, you get poor sound from speakers, poor sound from the room and almost no good low end at all. That’s what you get. A bigger speaker at lower volume at a closer distance will give you better result!

Now to this treatment thing. You cannot realistically treat your bedroom for low end. You just can’t. Another law of nature, sorry. Doing it effectively would mean rebuilding the whole room, that’s way too complex and expensive.

What CAN help, if your room isn’t excessively small, is speaker placement. Moving away from corners, walls, trying different places, some experimenting. Standing waves don’t fill the whole volume there some are spots better than others. Do not place your speakers on the desk, raise them so you don’t get reflections from the desk surface together with sound coming from the speakers. Don’t place them against the wall. Room treatment will help with higher frequencies. Well, there are lots of advices you can find on the topic.

But do yourself a favor and if you just plan to play through those monitors get decently sized ones. If you want to do mixing work - that’s a much more complicated story.

And don’t spend a lot of money on these.

Last edited:
I’d go with a 5 or 6” as in my experience 8”’s can be a bit overpowered in the typical sized bedroom, especially if you can’t have them away from the wall.

There is no such thing as a “typical sized bedroom”! And it’s NOT just about square feet (or meters). Shape matters. What’s in the room matters. Where you place the speakers matters A LOT.

Sorry, but that’s just bad advice.

Trying to pick monitors based on online reviews and recommendations is tough, and likely to drive you crazy. You'll often find one source saying "these are super accurate and full sounding" while the very next post says "these are thin-sounding and lifeless". My very best advice - pick a few that are in your price range and readily available (and easily returnable) and try them in your room. Everyone's taste is different, and every room is different. Unless you've heard them in person and in your room, you can't really have any expectation of what your experience will be. This is especially true if you're only going to use them in your room, and not be taking them anywhere.

I would also add - you don't necessarily need to start with the most expensive speakers you can afford. I would actually recommend the opposite. Start with the lower end, try them out in your room how you want to use them, and move up the chain until you're happy.

pick a few that are in your price range and readily available (and easily returnable) and try them in your room.

Now that’s a truly excellent advice.

Just to give you some idea, all “monitor” speakers (and many of them aren’t monitors really, that’s just monickers slapped on speakers by marketing folks) have about the same frequency response with some +-3 dB tolerance. Your room can easily change that to +- 10 or even +-20 dB!!! So you can place the worlds finest pair of speakers to a bad spot and that will be money flushed down the toilet.

On the other hand. If you go to a show where some world class band plays, the venue will be terrible in 99% of cases. It’ll be a stadium or some sports arena with horrible resonances, dead spots, all that stuff. Does it mean you can’t enjoy the show? Or even the sound? Not at all! It can be great. Who cares that frequency response isn’t accurate?

So when you play your guitar, it doesn’t need to be “accurate” cause you aren’t participating in some scientific experiment. You’re playing music. As long as you enjoy the sound, it’s fine!

And you really don’t need fancy monitors for that, those are built for a totally different purpose.

It's true, the problem isn't the monitor but the room. But still, I think the "smaller monitors" advice is useful for untreated small rooms.

And when we get to frequencies, physics dictates that you MUST have a large speaker for low end.
Depends on driver excursion, desired volume level and proximity (my HD600 at 30 Hz, -3dB from nominal), etc. I know you know this, so not sure why you're emphasizing MUST. It depends... no?

You can extend frequency range down by using ported cabinets (and most, if not all, monitors have that) but that comes at a price as it increases excursion and thus distortion. So, other things being equal, if you see two speakers with different woofer sizes and about the same frequency range the smaller one will simply sound worse.
Monitors like Genelec M040 (6.5 in, 48 Hz f3, measured THD 1%) and Neumann KH 120 (5 in, THD measured 1% from 60 Hz) are small and ported, and don't suffer from excessive distortion at the low end.
Ported designs allow for less distortion at the tuned low frequency, since driver excursion is less than what it'd be in a sealed enclosure. The trade-off of ported designs is transient response, not distortion.

Unless you play some easy acoustic stuff, you need the low end. If you play along some backing tracks with bass and drums, you really need low end.
How low do you need?

Of course, there are bad speakers, good speakers and great speakers. Size isn’t everything. There will be smaller speakers with better low end than some bigger ones. But you need size nevertheless. It’s just a freaking law of nature.
Make up your mind! :p

Class D vs Class AB amps and so on and so on. But that’s mixing, not playing.
How does Class D vs AB matter with mixing??

Think about it, how do small speakers help here? They don’t!!! They just produce less low end, that’s it. So your ears get more room reflection and less speaker.
How do you get "more room reflection and less speaker" with small monitors vs. big monitors? Unclear what you mean.

This means worse, less accurate “blanket covered” sound. If those small speakers have extended low end, you get poor sound from speakers, poor sound from the room and almost no good low end at all. That’s what you get. A bigger speaker at lower volume at a closer distance will give you better result!
I already discussed the "poor sound from speakers" bit earlier -- less distortion, not more.
How low a volume and how close with bigger speakers? I find it kind of impractical to do that, and prefer smaller monitors for closer distance. (Also, smaller is less expensive, can potentially get you a more professional speaker rather than a larger budget speaker.)

Don’t place them against the wall.
Placing monitors against the wall solves the low freq null issue. Low null freq moves up to midrange, where it's less omnidirectional, therefore less null. It can be quite effective.
So right near the wall, or far from the wall. In between is where it can have bad null issues.

So when you play your guitar, it doesn’t need to be “accurate” cause you aren’t participating in some scientific experiment. You’re playing music. As long as you enjoy the sound, it’s fine!
This is the advice I give too, but for some people (me), resonance can ruin the fun. Currently playing in a room where low C# rumbles, I try to avoid it as it gets in the way of enjoyment :p

I got to second the HS8's

I've tried them all, and owned many

I also have to say if you're going with Low End 5"s
Whatever is the latest M-Audio bx5 out there is- is the best

They're better than than the Presonus/JBL/KRK and tannoy

The HS8's have the bass the others don't but i'm not going to say MORE BASS which people tent to say- it just accurately fills what the bass is that's there

Make up your mind! :p

I said earlier - other things being equal, a larger speaker will always win. Things aren’t equal between different speakers, of course.

Mucking up transient response also distorts the original signal, distortion isn’t limited to its harmonic variety. As far as low end and playing is concerned, poor transient response is even worse than harmonic distortion, as far as I’m concerned.

As for “get a more professional speaker but smaller” - we’ll, here’s where we disagree.

As for C# rumbling - well if you don’t need that C# while playing, you can EQ it out. Everything else will sound better though. Essentially choosing a smaller speaker filters out that note and the whole band around it.

Speaking of “brand X makes this speaker Y, it has this response and excellent low end”. That’s missing the point. If that speaker X produces that C# where your room resonates, it will resonate regardless of speaker size. Whether it’s 12 inches or 3. But, if you have a 3 inch with a lot of extension and a 12 inch with everything else being equal, that 3 incher’s C# will be less accurate rumble by itself, even without room contribution. 12 inches will produce a more accurate note.

Anyway, it’s rather easy to hear all that difference, so not basing purchase decision on other people’s advice is probably the best advice given here.

Last edited:
Mucking up transient response also distorts the original signal, distortion isn’t limited to its harmonic variety. As far as low end and playing is concerned, poor transient response is even worse than harmonic distortion, as far as I’m concerned.
I don't think I've heard distortion used that way, but OK.
The two monitors I listed have good transient response as well. Good speaker companies make the right compromises, it's not all one or the other.

As for C# rumbling - well if you don’t need that C# while playing, you can EQ it out. Everything else will sound better though.
Everything else will sound better based on...?
How is a bunch of 5~10 dB boost/cut at the 20~200 Hz room modes in a small, untreated room just ignorable? Sound better, I disagree.
And if you think poor transient response is so bad, room resonance is poor transient response. You can't just EQ it out, better to not excite it.

I'm quite curious how Class D vs AB matters with mixing, what did you mean?

Anyway, there's more than one way to do things right. Big nice monitors in a well treated big room, happy days. If not, smaller monitors for a small untreated room is a valid compromise IMHO.

Last edited:
Yes, room is bad transient response is bad. But with a smaller speaker you get poor transient response from the speaker AND poor response from the room. This isn’t good in any case. Again, the whole “brand A’s small speakers are great in the low end” argument isn’t relevant with regard to room response, see above. And their bigger versions will still be better.

Whether you need a bunch of filters or just EQ out one relatively narrow band (it helped me) or cut everything out is individual.

And treating your bedroom for low end in any meaningful way isn’t realistic.

Class D vs Class AB - I have no clue, I just know a bunch of professional mixing engineers who claim that Class D is horrible for midrange and treble. Just mentioned that as an example of a debate people have when talking about mixing, irrelevant for playing your guitar in the bedroom. I personally don’t hear any difference.

Distortion - colloquially when people say distortion they mean THD. But technically it’s wrong, there are lots of types in the frequency domain (THD, IMD) and time domain (transient response, phase shift, wow and flutter, etc.)

And let me reiterate one more time. I have three sets of monitors (or rather, two sets of monitors and one set marketed as such). I totally completely wholeheartedly prefer the smallest one for mixing and critical listening, in any kind of room. But not because they are smaller, just because they are much better. I will always switch to the bigger ones when playing guitar though, which I do in an untreated acoustically poor room where these speakers are located in a corner. Especially when I play with a backing track. They sound so much more “natural” this way, because room resonances are natural as well. The bigger version of my mixing monitors sounds much more terrific, of course, but they would cost 3-4 times as much as my Presonus set, so not worth it. Probably not worth for mixing either because low end doesn’t matter that much, I have ways to control it.

But with a smaller speaker you get poor transient response from the speaker AND poor response from the room.
Not all smaller ported speakers have poor transient response as I've shared. False dichotomy.

And their bigger versions will still be better.
And quite more expensive a lot of times which is kinda my previous point. ;)

Class D vs Class AB - I have no clue, I just know a bunch of professional mixing engineers who claim that Class D is horrible for midrange and treble. Just mentioned that as an example of a debate people have when talking about mixing, irrelevant for playing your guitar in the bedroom. I personally don’t hear any difference.
I agree, implementation matters more than type.

Distortion - colloquially when people say distortion they mean THD. But technically it’s wrong, there are lots of types in the frequency domain (THD, IMD) and time domain (transient response, phase shift, wow and flutter, etc.)
I've not heard time domain stuff to be called distortion before, seems off, but gotcha.

And let me reiterate one more time. I have three sets of monitors (or rather, two sets of monitors and one set marketed as such). I totally completely wholeheartedly prefer the smallest one for mixing and critical listening, in any kind of room. But not because they are smaller, just because they are much better. I will always switch to the bigger ones when playing guitar though, which I do in an untreated acoustically poor room where these speakers are located in a corner. Especially when I play with a backing track. They sound so much more “natural” this way, because room resonances are natural as well. The bigger version of my mixing monitors sounds much more terrific, of course, but they would cost 3-4 times as much as my Presonus set, so not worth it. Probably not worth for mixing either because low end doesn’t matter that much, I have ways to control it.
Gotcha, and as I'd said, I agree with you that bigger is funner for playing. Just didn't quite agree with the strong insistence on driver size no matter what room from the previous post.

We've gone far off OP's initial post haha. Enjoy discussing with ya! ;)

Not all smaller ported speakers have poor transient response as I've shared. False dichotomy.

Hmm, I somehow fail to get my point across no matter how I try. :)

What I’m saying is this. There may be a big cheap speaker made by Presonus and a smaller one made by, say, Quested. That Quested may be better than the Presonus all around, including low end transient response.

However, if you take the same Quested series and pick one pair with 5 inches and another with 8, the 8 will have more accurate low end, no way around it. The 5 may have similar frequency response specs, but more of the low end will be muffled rumbling extension, COMPARED TO more accurate sound from the bigger one.

Now to the smaller ones are cheaper part. Yes, but that’s if you compare the same brand/series. You can get a pair of 8 inchers which will be great to play into for, let’s say $500 per pair. Not good for mixing though. If you want mixing, you’re looking at maybe $1K per pair and up, and those won’t have 8 inches, more like 6. So what I’m saying is it’s not worth it going for the higher end of all you need is playing along a backing track is an acoustically poor room. You can get bigger speakers AND save money at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom