Stryper!!

Michael Sweet:
My guitar ”tone” breakdown:
First, I always run a pre-eq. Some guys use a “boost” pedal. I’ve always used an eq for my boost.
I personally use a Tech 21 NYC Q-Strip (when I’m using a head). I used to use a Furman PQ-3 but as the years have passed, I’ve scaled down and made things smaller for travel purposes.
I boost between 700-800 in the midrange and usually add between 12-15 db, depending using the head. I use either a Mesa Boogie MarkV, an EVH 50 watt/EL-34 or a Marshall Silver Jubilee. They all sound a little different but all three have a fat/tight distortion. You can’t go wrong with any of these heads IMO.
I drive the head with the pre-eq (first in line). Then I add a graphic eq pedal (MXR and Dunlop Pedals 6 band), a delay pedal (which ever you prefer)and a gate (Isp Waller Decimator) in the effects loop (post preamp).
Lately I’ve been going direct (Two Notes Captor X) and I dial in a little more eq internally within the Captor. I use a 4x12 cab sim with the mic placed directly on the cab (no distance, no space).
When I do use a cab, I prefer a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion Heritage 30 watt speakers in the studio and Eminence Swanp Thang speakers live (killer tone but can handle the volume).
I use Four Star Wire & Cables.
I also use Fishman Fluence pickups and Ernie Ball Titanium coated hybrid (10-46) strings.
And of course, Sully Guitars
The above is my STUDIO setup.
LIve I use a Shure GLX into my signature ISP Signature MS pedal. It does all of the above and then some;-)

Back
Top Bottom