String buzz - rolling off the highs?

inkeyes

Inspired
Im finding that I get really quite noticable string buzz when using alot of clean patches on the ultra.
Mainly with my strat, iv tried it through other amps and units and the buzzing is barely audible.
Its not really a problem with the guitar, its setup pretty well IMO but i think its a case of, A. its a strat (notoriously difficult to eliminate all buzz) and B. some high end on the ultra.
Iv tried rolling back my tone and volume controls on the guitar and it helps a little but then i start to get a bit muddy.
I think it just requires some pinpoint lowering of certain frequency.

What do you think? Any recommendations of what sort of frequency to lower? how to go about it etc?

Im really new to this so the answer isnt obvious to me, hopefully some of you guys have had this problem yourselves and have an answer that will help.

thanks

Hi

The solution to fret buzz is typically not an Equalizer, but here goes.

Use the Parametric EQ. Try a peak in band 4 with high Q and negative gain. Sweep the frequency to take out the offending range.

Also consider having your guitar worked on by a reputable tech.

I was going to point out the same thing... if you get string buzz, don't try to "fix" it with the Axe... instead, get that guitar looked at and get rid of the string buzz.

If you don't hear that buzz with other gear, it might simply be because the Axe is so much more revealing of the true tone coming out of your guitar (and depending on what speakers you drive with your Axe, the output may extend to a much broader frequency range than your other gear).

If there *is* no string buzz, but you're getting sound that sounds like string buzz, then look at your patches and their signal chains... the Axe itself does not create any artifacts that could sound like string buzz (unless you're doing something wrong).

Daniel

As of my own experience, the only way is to up string gauge and/or re-adjust the truss rod (or sometimes: bridge).
Or adjust your playing to strum less hard.

Buzz is buzz. Unless you roll off all treble or play just full on shred, you have to eliminate it at the source.

Others might have a different point of view though ...

If it helped to decrease the highs...may have your cab looked at...If it is a FRFR you may a have horn wigging out.
I had one go ...more or less out...in that it - still worked...It just sounded bad on clean patches...I thought it string buzz myself...
didn't really notice it on the distortion patches...
Prolly not it, but just an idea...
good luck!

inkeyes said:
Im finding that I get really quite noticable string buzz when using alot of clean patches on the ultra.
Mainly with my strat, iv tried it through other amps and units and the buzzing is barely audible.
Its not really a problem with the guitar, its setup pretty well IMO but i think its a case of, A. its a strat (notoriously difficult to eliminate all buzz) and B. some high end on the ultra.
Iv tried rolling back my tone and volume controls on the guitar and it helps a little but then i start to get a bit muddy.
I think it just requires some pinpoint lowering of certain frequency.

What do you think? Any recommendations of what sort of frequency to lower? how to go about it etc?

Im really new to this so the answer isnt obvious to me, hopefully some of you guys have had this problem yourselves and have an answer that will help.

thanks

well, although it sounded like a guitar problem i have to agree its something else,,i didnt notice what your talking about with my ibanez js100...but i just got a new ibanez prestige 2620 yesterday and behold..the problem you speak of is evident...select the 5150 factory patch and rolled the volume back and it sounded like all 6 strings were buzzing badly...and the action on the guitar was very high {for a prestige} and sounds fine unamplified...i agree too that it is an eq problem...i dont use the 5150 sim ...just tested,so its not a big deal.

Thanks for the help guys.

Having done some more fiddling it seems it's not my guitar.
let me try and explain what iv messed around with and then hopefully you guru's can decipher it somehow.

So....

I took your advice and checked over my guitar, even when just played unplugged there is little if any buzzing now.
I plugged in to several other amps and preamps and didnt have the problem.
I went back to the ultra.
Now, none of the clipping lights were lighting up, not even flicking the red at all, both inputs and outputs.
But, just incase i turned down each of the inputs and outputs on the unit.
I found that when i lowered the input 1 level (what my guitar is plugged into) and then increased the output to avoid a drop in volume, the buzzing stopped.
I increased the input level back to where it was, and the buzzing came back.
Now, im using single coils, low output vintage style pups and to avoid the buzzing i have the level at about 12 o clock or just under, this seems a little low compared to most peoples experiences.

If i turn the input level up to full, i get 4 green lights, but, no red at all. but the buzzing comes back.
On about 12 o clock input level i get 2 green lights, 3 when i play very hard.

Now I thought that this meant i was getting some weird input clipping, however, i then remembered the bypass setting on the ultra.
I switched to bypass mode and repeated the above, no buzzing at all, no matter the input level.

So, i think its the patch, after some tweaking, lowering the drive and master a little the buzzing goes away. But i dont think it sounds quite so good as when i used my other settings but with the input level lowered.

Is this a case of bees in a jar? digital unit not quite managing to provide a natural break up? (it may well be the pilots fault - newbie trying to get some natural sounds)

Any recommendations or comments that might help me achieve a more natural sound are really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom