Strange behavior... can render axefx non responsive using ext preamp (not necc an axefx issue)

mistermikev

Experienced
so... lemme start by saying I don't actually think this is going to end up being an axe fx problem.

background: I have several tube preamps hooked up to my axe fx. some of them are midi - mb1, triaxis, mp2. have my axe switching channels on the preamps.

Oddly... with my mp2 on, the axe fx and/or axe-edit freq need a reset.

I have had all my midi connections thru a motu midi express 128 which had this problem. recently switch to a korg kmp68 and have the issue. I can rout my midi signals completely away from the axe fx... even turn my midi router off... and this still happens. not a midi issue.

if I simply have my mp2 on and the send/ret to it engaged... switching thru presets gets sluggish.
I have multiple presets setup to bring in in4R and have had this issue on several of them. Prior to the mp2 I had a tbraxx on chnl4R and no issues.

If I just sit on one preset in the axefx... I can flip around all day on the mp2... sounds glorious. Only an issue when I change presets or scenes on the axefx interface or the axeedit interface.

I have put in the audio analyzer checking my levels along the path just to dbl check I'm not "blasting" the axe fx on the return... never reaches beyond 75% height. Admittedly the input leds for 4 are freq lighting red. I have dialed back the return to -6db. admittedly the mp2 comes out hot at 45% output level on mp2... but then my triaxis comes out hot as hell too and is set at "3" on the output dial - still never causes issue.

so... in summary it seems it must be something to do with the output from the mp2?

1724526500410.png

I'm betting it's still midi related...

Are any of these devices also connected to your computer with USB? The Midi can also route via USB.

If you connect only audio cables does it still happen?

What firmware version are you running?

There was a decent Rat drive issue that could cause this, too.

I too would bet midi issue. My experience with the floor based units is when it comes to midi, boot sequence is extremely important and the FAS stuff seems to be pretty sensitive to midi garbage (unrecognized commands) coming in. This is where things got unstable for me, anyway.

I think something similar came up on the Axe III that if there was MIDI stuff going on during bootup, it could cause issues. I want to say there was a fix added to the FW but can't remember for sure.

Edit: Found it in the FW 25 release notes - "Fixed global settings not recalled if MIDI data is present on the MIDI In jack during bootup."

I think something similar came up on the Axe III that if there was MIDI stuff going on during bootup, it could cause issues. I want to say there was a fix added to the FW but can't remember for sure.

Edit: Found it in the FW 25 release notes - "Fixed global settings not recalled if MIDI data is present on the MIDI In jack during bootup."
this is great. I stopped using midi connected gear in my humble live setup because reliability was more important to me than anything. May give this a shot again and see what's what.

I'm betting it's still midi related...

Are any of these devices also connected to your computer with USB? The Midi can also route via USB.

If you connect only audio cables does it still happen?

What firmware version are you running?

There was a decent Rat drive issue that could cause this, too.
well... I was convinced of that too... but at this point I can't imagine how it would be because I have had the issue while my midi router was powered off. the only device connected via usb is the axe fx. none of the preamps have usb. none of this makes sense tho! firmware is from 2 weeks ago... 2602 beta 1.
ty for the reply! i do appreciate.

I too would bet midi issue. My experience with the floor based units is when it comes to midi, boot sequence is extremely important and the FAS stuff seems to be pretty sensitive to midi garbage (unrecognized commands) coming in. This is where things got unstable for me, anyway.
right on... I've had the issue with my midi router off... so it'd have to be something else on my machine sending midi... I can't say for 100% sure I've had the issue with fl studio closed but I'll test this.
thanks for the reply!!

well that is an odd one... my preamps are almost always turned off and only turn them and midi on if I'm going to play around w them... I've had the axe on for the last hour and no issues w fl studio open and moving around in presets. also... it is ONLY when I move to the presets for my mp-2... which again makes me think it is related to that specifically.

thank you for the reply.

ok, well we're getting somewhere. turned off my maschine mikro, my korg piana(hehe), scroll around in presets fine... until I hit these presets. there is something wrong w them. mp2 is off and it's sluggish and problematic. think we have a culprit. wouldn't have guessed it.
thank you all for your help in stirring my juices!!!!!!!

for the sake of saving anyone else time... will try to see what specifically is wrong. going to remove midi block and save as new preset somewhere else... will report back.

for the record... just trying to delete the midi block was sluggish and looking like crashville. gave up on the work i did there... moving to new presets and haven't had a problem even with midi and mp2 on so... thanks again all for the help.

seems I might not be done here... after clearing these slots... odd that 3 of them remain "red"
it also wouldn't let me overwrite them w a new preset. this would be potentially a bad hd sector or something? lol how do we run disk scan on axe fx.
1724549620953.png

after closing the editor... their baaaaack.
1724549839447.png

Your CPU usage in one of the screenshots is crazy high. You'll have all kinds of issues with it that high.
I think that is an artifact more of the corrupted slot than the actual usage. I have all sorts of other presets with very similar setups and rarely get above 87%. Either way... it is clearly an issue other than just the preset because I can't even clear it. it literally can't be overwritten by another preset. so I've backed up all and am restoring bank c and d to see if that will allow me to delete them or overwright.

Back
Top Bottom