Strange audio issue with computer and Axe Fx 3

Legaato

Issue 1: My computer tower is pretty close to me when I'm playing and the closer I get to it, the more noise I can hear through my guitar/Axe Fx. Does anyone have any tips to minimize or get rid of that noise? I've read that it could be the hard drive, so I'm considering getting a solid state drive. However, part of me thinks it could be the power supply or fans.

Issue 2: When my computer is off and I'm playing through the Axe Fx it's WAY louder than when my computer is on. When I turn my computer on the volume from the Axe Fx seems like it's cut in half. Could this be because it's on the same circuit and my computer is drawing too much power? I have them both plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

Any help with these two issues would be immensely appreciated. I can't even record because of the noise issue.

Thanks for the reply biskitboy! I'll give that a read. I also discovered more craziness. It turns out my keyboard (Corsair gaming keyboard with backlights) causes WAY more noise than even my computer does, but only when the backlights are on. Also, I found out that it's not simply my computer being turned on that cuts the volume, it's my Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen being turned on that makes the Axe drop in volume. When it's disconnected there's no problem.

Edit: So I found out that the volume drop is due to using both inputs on the back of my Yamaha HS7s.

Last edited:
Theres a few things - glass panels dont block EMI from the pc. LEDs and monitors will emit a lot also. You can turn 20-45 degrees and you should hear the noise go away. Also, move your tower away, especially not on your desk.

hi , @Legaato

the noise coming from your keyboard is probably the dimming of the lights. It probably uses pwm to dim (like chopping the voltage) and you can hear that chopping as interference. Turning the light off or full on ( no dimming) should resolve the keyboard issue.

thanks
pauly

Thanks for the reply biskitboy! I'll give that a read. I also discovered more craziness. It turns out my keyboard (Corsair gaming keyboard with backlights) causes WAY more noise than even my computer does, but only when the backlights are on. Also, I found out that it's not simply my computer being turned on that cuts the volume, it's my Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen being turned on that makes the Axe drop in volume. When it's disconnected there's no problem.

Edit: So I found out that the volume drop is due to using both inputs on the back of my Yamaha HS7s.

@pauly Turning the back lights off completely removed the noise from the keyboard. Thanks for the info!

@searchorenteraddress Turning does indeed lessen the noise, but unfortunately the way my desk is situated doesn't let me get very far away from my computer tower. I pushed it as far away as I could and that definitely helped, but didn't completely eliminate the noise. I appreciate the input!

All in all I cut the noise down considerably just by turning off the lights on my keyboard and that was likely the main source of noise in the first place. I still get a bit from my computer tower but my tone is now considerably more clear than it was before. Thank you all for the information and guidance, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom