Stereo output levels not even?

Nemacyst

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum. I got my Ultra about 6 months ago and I absolutely love it, but I've run into a problem when setting it up to record that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

I have the Ultra running from the balanced left and right outputs under output 1 into a Fireface 800, which is connected to my Mac running both Cubase and Logic - I've tried with both and the same problem happens. Essentially, the right output is much quieter than the left output. I can't work out how to fix this one, it might just be something silly or something more complicated - any help would be much appreciated!!

If I recall, there's a rather loose tolerance between the two sides of the output, and there's no adjustment you can make internally to the Axe-FX. This has been discussed before, and I think Cliff indicated that you should use your console's (or interface's) input level controls to balance things out (though I don't have the thread handy to point to).

Cliff: "t's inevitable that there will be mismatch in the L/R levels. The output levels are controlled by a stereo potentiometer. The tracking between the two resistors will never be perfect and gets worse as you get near the start of the curve (fully CCW). It's impossible to fix in software as the mismatch will vary from unit to unit. Also, you can't simply put a global balance control because the mismatch varies with the level knob position. The good news is this is one reason why they put faders on mixing boards. I'd hardly consider it a problem or a flaw. Simply compensate as necessary.
Now, one person has a short to ground on one of the XLR pins. This is a hardware failure and a completely different thing. In this case the unit needs to be repaired."

Source:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6083&hilit=stereo+left+right+level+difference

WIKI:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... put_levels

Thanks for the help, I'll just balance it in the mixer. I thought there might be a way to alter the output levels on the Ultra, but it's no big deal. Thanks again. :D

Nemacyst said:
I thought there might be a way to alter the output levels on the Ultra

You can use the Balance controls in Layout > Mixer, per perset. But it's not the way to go because - if I understand correctly - the misbalance depends on the position of the Output Level knob.

Back
Top Bottom