Standard to AX8 migration - Gain and Presence question

st3sch

I'm migration from a Standard to the AX8. Having a gig in 14 days I went throug my main patches on the Standard and them in at home to have starting point at the rehersal. This went quite well, but for now two questions appeard ;)

The presence control is different, isn't it. The Standard manual says that normal presence control is going from 12 o'clock up and that going down means negative one like on a Vox amp. The AX8 manual says nothing about it, so I think it's just normal presence.

The Amps seem to have really a lot more gain than the standard. My go to preset was a Brit Pre with master at 6.5 and gain at 6. Cab was the same a Redwire Uber V30 with SM75 5in and a mixed in Room Mic. To get in the same area I had to remove gain to about 2.5. I didn't expect it to sound the same between Standard and AX8 but I was a little bit suprised. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

you are jumping forward 5 years in the modeling technology, around 22 major FW versions and 2 "generations" of modeling. i would treat the AX8 as a completely new product and wouldn't try to copy your old settings.

Yes you're right. I think I have to learn everything from scratch ;)

After the gig I'll start over again. But it worked really good to get me in the right direction and out of the "which stock cab works for me" rabbit hole. :)

Yes you're right. I think I have to learn everything from scratch ;)

After the gig I'll start over again. But it worked really good to get me in the right direction and out of the "which stock cab works for me" rabbit hole. :)
Dude, I went from an Ultra to an Axe FX 2 XL+ last October and my experience was that trying to use the same settings on the new units was an exercise in futility. I ended up using a completely different amp model and different can sims to get a similar tone.

Back
Top Bottom