Speaker for dialing in PA-compatible patches at home?

leonardg

Hi All,

This question has been addressed in bits here and there, but I'd like to see if anyone has some more-focused thoughts.

Are there any aspects of the PA speakers/monitors that that make them particularly suitable for dialing in PA-compatible patches at home? I realize that the different PAs, soundguys, etc., are inevitable unknowns, but are there any constants that some speakers would help me plan for better than others?

In order of concern, I'd like the speaker to do the following:

1) Help me dial in patches that will sound good FOH
2) Sound great just for playing around in the house
3) Serve as a personal monitor for gigs

Background: I just stumbled into a once-a-month gig where I'll be traveling 100+ miles and setting up without much time to dial whatever PA I'll be stuck with.

I ordered an 8ma before I discovered the backorder; I can't wait that long. I am now trying to get out to GC as soon as I can to try the QSC K10 and K12. I'm also eyeing the HPR122i, though I'm pretty sure it will be overkill for my needs.

Please toss some wisdom in my direction. Thanks!

You want a full range flat response power amp and speakers. A decent PA should reflect what you can dial in on a good pair of studio monitors. Then, use the global EQ in your Axe-FX to adjust as needed for a given gig.

Decent monitors allow you to tune their response, which can help you to adjust or correct trends you find when playing elsewhere (ex: always too bright, or too boomy, etc.)

I use Adam P11As, but just re-fitted a pair of nice cabs with Beyma 12XA30D drivers. My recommendation at this moment, however, probably be that you wait a leeeeeetle longer and get a pair of the new Atomic full range amps. This would also give you an awesome mini-gig/jam rig! I know I'll be doing this without hesitation.

Matman said:
You want a full range flat response power amp and speakers. A decent PA should reflect what you can dial in on a good pair of studio monitors. Then, use the global EQ in your Axe-FX to adjust as needed for a given gig.

So, my mediocre monitors will get me most of the way there and it won't be a night-and-day difference with a PA? That at least gives me some breathing room with this purchase.

Matman said:
My recommendation at this moment, however, probably be that you wait a leeeeeetle longer and get a pair of the new Atomic full range amps. This would also give you an awesome mini-gig/jam rig! I know I'll be doing this without hesitation.

That was my plan awhile back, but, parroting some other contributors, I'm a little turned off by having to deal with tubes again. I will try to stay open minded, though. :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom